Decent action today

Discussion in 'Ohio River Fishing Reports' started by nlcatfish, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Joe & I got our lines in the water at 08:10 at our favorite place. The river had some current today for a change. Joe boated a small Channel cat that hit his SMOKIES at 09:13. He had been getting a number of taps on that bait earlier. He got his 2nd channel at 09:28 I hooked into a 5 pound Channel cat that like French fries at 09:50. We started checking out other spots. We marked fish, but no bites. Went back to our first spot and caught 2 more fish. I got a 3.5 pound flathead that took a piece of cut skipjack. While I was measuring out this fish Joe boated a ¾ pound channel. All of Joe's cats were cuaght with the SMOKIES. We headed home from the ramp with a satisfying feeling for this trip.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  2. Thanks for the recent reports, I bet they are running the current to make room for all the heavy rains SE Ohio got. Man, I wish I could get out this weekend but wont be able to.
    Salmonid

3. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

But didn't see you anywhere. The water was moving a bit more than previous days but was still pretty lethargic. There are shad THICK near the ramp and I saw several large schools right by the Showboat. I also saw a large cat cruisingshallow near the boat that probably would have gone 10-15 lbs.It's good to hear some success. Keep on reporting! This page is slow right now so keep 'em coming.

UFM82

4. I plan on going out tomorrow am out of schmidt feild If I don,t stay up too late tonight.Hope they r still hitting ;) Good to hear your report!!!

5. Well I tried to get shad at the ramp at 8:00 threw the net about 3 times NO luck. I walked up to the gravel section did not see any shad along there either so went back to lauching the boat. We left the ramp at around 13:15 to head home. Truck you may want to consider putting in at the Public landing it is only about 2 miles down river from Schmidt's. IT will save you the $10 fee that Schmidt charges you every time you launch. There are cat around the downtown area. This weekend I am sure the Public Landing will be closed due to setting up for the Fireworks on Sunday. I have a short video YOUTUBE of the Aug 6th fishing trip where we got 4 catfish. I named it Catfishing at Cincinnati if you want to see about that part of the river. Tight lines to all.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  6. Watched your vid was cool,we have fished some of those same spots.i have found some good places up river a little ;) Oh after this trip out of schmidt the next one is free :)

7. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

But they lock the gates after 11:00 p.m. and you can't get out after that. If you're night fishing and don't stay out all night, you can't use the landing. :mad:

Schmidt and Riverside are both CRC ramps but are monitored by live-in "managers". That is, the guy you pay your fees to lives in the buildings at the ramp. Half of your fee goes to him and half goes to CRC. I asked why they raised the fees from $5 to $10 a few years ago and I also asked him why they stopped giving the "pay 5 fees get the 6th free" cards and he claimed the CRC made them stop doing that. It's aggravating because $10 is the highest fee I pay anywhere and the ramp is just average. Many times I've had to move debris out of the way to launch and the 300' No Wake rule is ignored by most boaters. I damaged a prop at Schmidt a few years ago on the Cat-Illac when a boat wake dropped my L/U onto the ramp. The guy wasn't anymore than 100' from the ramp when he went sailing by.

However, as nlcat states, downtown does have some pretty good cattin'. It's nice to launch and be fishing 10 minutes later.

UFM82

8. I also asked him why they stopped giving the "pay 5 fees get the 6th free" cards
    They r back to doing that again;)