close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Decarbing a 2 Stroke

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by "J", May 2, 2004.

1. "J"

"J"

Don't know if you guy's do this or not but I figured I'd post it to put it out for all to see to try it, you will not regret it and it will extend the life of most of your motors, I have used this method for a couple of years and do it at least 1 to 2 times a year depending on the amount of use on the motor, I saw this on another web-site and there are a couple of ways of doing it but this is the easiest. Just some advise if you do it make sure there is a drip pan under the motor and when you spin the motor with the plugs out don't have it near anything or you will spray it with the carbon in a liquid form, don't ask me how I know that :eek: anyway I substituded the mercury product that they use to a product called Seafoam works just as well and is cheaper and Napa carries it and I use the spray in the cylinders and the pour can in the gas tank. One word of caution when you take the boat out, make sure there isn't allot of people standing around the motor will smoke like a frieght train, and it doesn't smell all that well either again don't ask me how I know that. Well here is the post from anglerworld.com.
    http://www.wmi.org/sql_messages_htm...&ini=d:\asp_ini\boats_motors_3way.ini&no_nav=

2. bill_gfish

bill_gfish Well, Gee Whiz!

Good post. I don't have a boat but in reading the info. in the link something concerned me a bit.

The melted the plastic pan part concerns me. Wouldn't it do the same to the plastic parts on the engine? Maybe not, but figured I'd bring it up. And while I am wondering here, I always thought turning the engine over without water hooked up to the lower unit was bad for the motor.

BIll

3. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

"J"...Great advice man. I'm going to move it to Boats/Motors with a redirect in the Lounge. Stuff like this is worth archiving!

Thanks!

4. "J"

"J"

All the stuff in the decarb spray used is the same stuff you spray thru the carbs on any of your motors, so don't worry about the melting of the drip pan :D Like what was stated in the article its been done along time by the pros who work on your motors you just been paying them for doing it, now that you see how easy it is you'll bee saving some money and make your motor run that much better. As far as turning your motor over without your water muffs on I've never had a problem with it, but if you're not comfortable with it put them on and turn the water on. Doing this to your motor will keep it clean and make it run better, idle smoother, and keep most of the carbon off the piston tops, and believe me that's a good thing.

5. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

My motor is a 1967. I don't think it has ever been decarbed. If and when I do this procedure, I believe there will be so much carbon that comes out that maybe even a diamond may fall out of the motor. Haha :D :D

6. "J"

"J"

I don't know if they sell it in a 55 gallon drum but you might want to look into it :D

7. Worm Drowner

Worm Drowner Banned

Turning the motor over w/out water isn't a problem so long as you don't run the motor. The water acts only as a coolant. Without a spark to ignite the fuel-air mixture, the only heat generated is a small amount from friction. The oil in the gas/oil mixture or the oil injected into the cylinder is sufficient to keep any damage from occurring. If you really overdo the cranking, you might harm the water pump impeller, but it's likely your battery would die first.