Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
111 Posts
We were at the Huron ramp when a body was brought back. One person was taken to the hospital with bad injuries. One person is still missing and as of 12:45 am boats , divers and a helicopter are still on the scene just a bit west of Cranberry. Responders seem to be using Cranberry Creek marina for staging.
Someone who was nearby said one boat hit another boat. Don’t know if that is the case or not. I do know that life has changed forever for some families. Very sad. I’m sure details will be on the news.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
So sad . Heard about it on the news as I was headed out the door to work .

Thoughts are with those affected . I'm sure there's going to be a lot of speculation about the circumstances around this horrible accident . But I think we should wait for all the information to come out .

Fall and winter boating offers alot of risk if your fishing or duck hunting . Add in darkness and the hazards are compounded further .

·
Registered
477 Posts
Every time I fish the night bite I see boats without the correct navigation lights, no bow lights, reversed bow lights, only stern lights ext ext. When will the madness end? 😠
i hear you.i was out last night as well.wind cranked up from the east right at dark.stern light needs to be highest point on the boat and at least 36-48" above any obsructions.once you factor 2-3' waves,inadequate lighting in wavy water in a small craft can be dangerous at night.i,ve encountered kayakers at dusk out by the huron dump.poorly lit and hard to spot until your right on top of them.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I agree with "landing hogs" was out Wednesday night and a boat was anchored off the SW corner of Kelly's with no lights, I constantly had to troll around them. Soon they fired up and left, the people were casting at night.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Saw on 19 news about two boats in a collision off of Huron last night around 8:30. One dead and one missing and one injured. They were fishing the fall brawl I believe it said. Someone was going to fast to cause that much problem. Not good at all..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Every time I fish the night bite I see boats without the correct navigation lights, no bow lights, reversed bow lights, only stern lights ext ext. When will the madness end?
I know when... but my post will go over like passin wind in church and will be allowed to linger even less!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I hate these guys who think lights are the reason they are not catching fish I mean a stern light does not give off much light !!!it is because you suck at fishing not the lights sorry for the people of this accident but we should all learn light up your boat correctly light your boards up and play by the rules people if you are using the brawl or slam for a retirement plan your an idiot go out have fun and be safe!!!

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I hate these guys who think lights are the reason they are not catching fish I mean a stern light does not give off much light !!!it is because you suck at fishing not the lights sorry for the people of this accident but we should all learn light up your boat correctly light your boards up and play by the rules people if you are using the brawl or slam for a retirement plan your an idiot go out have fun and be safe!!!

My experience is not that they believe the light is the reason why they aren't catching fish its more of the line of they don't want anyone to see where they're fishing.

Prayers sent to everyone involved

·
Catcher of Fish
2,859 Posts
Without knowing any actual facts my educated guess would be an insufficiently lit boat hit by a boat traveling too fast for conditions (darkness). It never ceases to amaze me how fast some boats are going at night or in a heavy fog. My condolences to those involved and their families.

·
Registered
730 Posts
1st off very sad to hear this but now my question is that on inland lakes after dark there is speed limits, does this apply to Erie can anyone weight in on? I’ve seen plenty of people flying 40 plus mph after dark, I’ve never heard the rules on Erie or is it the same as inland lakes? Not saying that this crash was due to speed but just saying people think because it’s a huge body of water they can go as they please.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts