close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dead/Dying Carp on GMR?

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Carpn, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Carpn

Carpn BOWFISHERMAN

Hey all...I was out on the GMR last night and saw a large number of dead carp and also several carp that seemed weak and dying. The ones I saw that were dying seemd to have some sores on them and also had a reddish look to some of their bodies.

2. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Carpn,

You might want to contact the DNR officer for your county. It might be just from the post-spawn time, but in Southern Ohio, especially river spawning, should have happened a while back. Sounds more like a parasite outbreak that happened on the Ohio River a few years back. Killed 10's of Thousands of Carp. Definately worth checking into.

3. traphunter

traphunter Guest

I caught a carp out of Rocky Fork the other day and one of its side fins were covered with red sores. It was so bad it looked like it was about to rot off or somthing. It was pretty sick. :confused: :(

4. Carpn

Carpn BOWFISHERMAN

I don't really think it is post spawn trauma..Could be though...I know i saw over 100 in various stages of death from fresh to several days old...I fish this area often and have never seen more than a few dead fish there at a time.Also saw sevarl fish floating on their sides barely alive and also in the shallows laying there..When they would spook they would not dart off...just very slowly swim like it was the very last thing they wanted to do...
    I'm concerned it is one of the carp specific killers that have hit recently in other areas...

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Man, I sure hope not. I didnt see any off of Rip Rap Road last Sunday, but then again the water runs fairly swift in that area. Please keep us posted, if you havent called ODNR please do.

6. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

H2O, only problem is........if it is the parasite, there is nothing the DNR can do except let the problem take it's course. It's not a pretty sight. I would imagine though only being the small amount that it is, that it would be something else. Although who knows. I'm no expert :)

7. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Like Shawn said there probably isn't much that can be done about it, thats a heck of a thing though to bad all those carp are dying.

8. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

same thing happened on the montgomery and cumberland pools on the ohio river a couple years ago, dead and dying carp everywhere.

9. Miso_Ohio

Miso_Ohio Green Eggs And Ham

How long does a fish have to be in our waters before it becomes native???

They have been there for hundreds of years, they haven't done near the damage to our fisheries and "native species" the man has done. By the way if you went back in time to before when carp where released into the wild, you may be surprised at what is really native to a body of water and what is not.

If you want to just hate the Common Carp because they are a Common Carp that is fine but don't hate them because we stocked them there hundreds of years ago. Also don't hate them because they share the same last name as a couple of new comers to the water ways that have people freaked out, that is like you hating my Great Great Great GrandUncle twice removed because I ran over your favorite mailbox.

I wonder if in 300 years people will be complaining about the state stocked trout, steelhead, stripers and the list goes on and on that have been introduced to bodies of water that never had these species before?

10. H2O Mellon

Mushijobah,

I think you may want to think about speaking, or typing. I would hope that we wouldnt have someone, a fellow "fisherman" on here saying something that ignorant.

Back up & rethink your statement.

11. I like the carp. I don't to eat them or keep them, but I sure do like to hook into a good sized carp and fight it a few minutes.

I can only imagine what the banks and ponds would look like without carp...... Seaweed anyone?

If everyone hated non-natives, a majority of us would be in limbo.

PEACE. :D

JC

12. I have an acre pond with about a dozen KOI and some grass carp......have four dead in the last week.

These fish are about 12 years old, one grass carp that died is well over 3 foot.

This is the first I've lost in the 12 years since the pond was built.

Haven't a clue as to what's up?

13. H2O Mellon

Well, I just bought some goldfish on Friday. I took them out for a few minutes last night & sure enough one of them has red sores on its body. So how could this have happened? It wasnt in a big body of water or anything like that. COuld it be somethign that hits certain carp, in large bodies of water or even not in them?

14. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

I saw the same thing happen to a few carp in the upper cuyahoga last year. some actually beached themselve on a rip rap bank. looked like a nervous disorder

15. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

ive seen this before and it was a fish kill from a fertilizer company. im not saying this is what it is but there were a ton of carp in the river trying to throw themselves on the bank, maybe with the recent rains there has been some runoff from the fields that may have had some fertilzer or some sort of pesticide recently sprayed. the waters that were affected could had a high concentration of the chemicals , then as they mixed in the river it diloutted (sp) enough to not cause any problems with the fish...

sowbelly

16. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

I think you have it all wrong. It is not about them being non-native. It is the fact that they are probably the most destructive factor in rivers and lakes, in ohio. If you do not believe this, talk to the odnr, epa, whoever. They all know. In central ohio streams the total biomass of fish consists of 50% carp, can you say infestation? Give me some information on how carp are GOOD for our streams, and i might think about not hating them. As far as i know, every carp i catch is racoon food or garden fertalizer.

17. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Here:

http://www.elektrik-sheep.com/story/EpFkEAlplEsiMHPDAE.shtml

http://www.texs.com/magazine/page11.cfm

http://www.afsifs.vt.edu/

http://ag.ansc.purdue.edu/EXOTICSP/related_links.htm

(Good One)
    http://ag.ansc.purdue.edu/EXOTICSP/links/general_web_sites.htm#ippp

http://www.great-lakes.net/envt/flora-fauna/invasive/carp.html

"Carp degrade shallow lakes by causing excessive turbidity, which can lead to declines in waterfowl and important native fish species. The common carp was introduced by unintentional release in 1879."

Come on Miso_Ohio, hundreds of years usually means more than 125 years doesnt it?

Now everyone, do not get me wrong. I love fishing for carp, and if i did catch a huge 20 pound plus carp, I would let it go. But guess what, rarely does a 20 pound carp occur in ohio because they are overpopulated and stunted. I could be totally wrong in my accusations, i just like to go along with what the ODNR, EPA, and university research projects say. I can't wait for your comments.

p.s. carp do not eat sea weed, and if they did, they would have to be osmoregulators. (that means can live in either salt or fresh water)

18. I say they're here to stay so you might as well enjoy catching them...not getting into the arguments over how destructive they are (or aren't) as it's been talked about over and over again...but i do know there are plenty of places in Ohio to catch 20+ pound carp...and places where 12-15 lb fish are the average catch. Can't say that about many other species around here...

19. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

wish my average catch was that high for carp. where are you getting 20+ pounders, i promise i wont fish it ;)