Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of my was fishing another circuit and caught a big bass. It was leading the tourney until the end. Another big bass was weighed in at two onces heavier......with the exception that the heavier big bass was dead.

In my circuit, the 8 oz. penalty would come off the fish.....not the total weight.

In the circuit my friend was fishing, the 8 oz. penalty came off the total weight and not the dead big bass. He lost out on the money.

Which do you think is the better way to handle a dead big bass?

Should there be a penalty for killing the big bass of the tournament?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
in ALL the catfish tourneys I fish, ALL fish must be alive or they do not count at all, and some also dock you weight ( 2 or 5 lbs) if you acually weigh a dead fish. You also can get docked weight if seen culling dead fish at the ramp in some trails.

Salmonid

·
Set The Hook`
4,215 Posts
IMO I believe the weight should come off the fish not of the total amount. ESPECIALLY if its the big bass of the tourny. Then again im a nobody so its whatever tourny rules are! lol

·
Buckeye On The Water
70 Posts
I think it should come off the fish too. Dunno official rules though.

My follow up question is this though.... are you allowed to cull a dead bass?!

I was fishing the BFL on Tanners Creek and knew I had a competitive bag, fortunately I didn't catch a 6th bass and still won so I wasnt forced to decide. My buddy told me afterwards I wasnt allowed but I haven't found it in the rules yet.

·
Registered
707 Posts
IMO I think that you shouldn't even be able to weigh in a dead fish. I've fished tournaments that do allow it and some that don't and have found more controversy comes with allowing dead fish to be weighed....then again its all up to the tournament director and what he wants to deal with or not deal with. Either way I'm gonna keep fishing and hope that I never have to weigh a dead fish. Only have had two fish die on me in my two years of tourney fishing. One was allowed to be weighed one wasn't.

·
Set The Hook`
4,215 Posts
To me if you kill a fish you shouldnt have any other choice but to have to weigh it in. If you killed it you need to have the dead bass penatly against you to weigh it in. Its not the fishes fault that you killed it so you should take the pentalty. I am FOR weighing in a dead fish.....u might as well weigh in the fish u killed and take the fish penalty.....if not then your killing a fish for no reason and then its BS.

Also culling a dead fish is a biiggggg NO-NO. Should be stated in any tournament rules.

·
Registered
123 Posts
To me if you kill a fish you shouldnt have any other choice but to have to weigh it in. If you killed it you need to have the dead bass penatly against you to weigh it in. Its not the fishes fault that you killed it so you should take the pentalty. I am FOR weighing in a dead fish.....u might as well weigh in the fish u killed and take the fish penalty.....if not then your killing a fish for no reason and then its BS.

Also culling a dead fish is a biiggggg NO-NO. Should be stated in any tournament rules.
agreed.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
Registered
11,395 Posts
The fish should not be allowed in the Big Fish pot as it could have been a floater that was simply picked up.

·
Set The Hook`
4,215 Posts
Problem is you know the difference between a floater thats been floating and one thats died within 8 hrs.....color....eyes....so forth.....if you cant tell the difference then they shouldnt be running a tourny lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Electric Bass Circuit deducts an 8oz. penalty on a dead bass if it is weighed for big bass. Only one dead bass can be weighed in. Culling dead bass is allowed, but this is a rare occurance. The fish is already dead and nothing will bring it back. There is no good way to police dead fish culling. I am sure it happens in tournaments with large pay-outs. I trust the members of the electric bass circuit. We have had members return bass to the lake after the bass jumped into the boat. Recently a member took an 8oz. dead bass penalty when he discovered upon releasing them that one of his bass had died. Killing bass is not good, but it will occur from time to time. We encourage EBC members to check livewell operation and taking care that all bass caught are released in good condition. Keep'er Wet, Fishslyme

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
This is a good question. I feel no one means to kill a bass. Somtimes they take the bait deep and there isn't anything you can do. In my tournament if you bring a dead bass to weigh-in there is a 8oz. penalty. Now the big question.. Since there is a separate pay out for Big Bass . Then if the big bass is dead they should deduct 8ozs.from the big bass weight because of the separate pay out.

I agree with NO culling of dead fish. I'm sure there are some that will do it still. That would be a hard one to catch. If they bring a short fish (under 12 inches) and try to weigh it there is a 1 lb. penalty if we catch it. This has stopped alot of guys from trying to weigh in short fish.

GarryS

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There seems to be moral opinion against culling a dead fish. My question.....to those who think you should "not" cull a dead fish........Would "you" cull a dead fish in a tournament that permitted culling dead fish.? Or would you hold to your moral high ground and keep your dead fish, even though, culling dead fish is allowed?

As a tournament director, part of running a circuit is keeping it as honest and fair as possible. So let me ask another question.....

Say culling dead fish is "not" permitted. You've caught four, three pound bass and have one 12" dead fish. You catch another three pounder. Would you cull the dead 12" fish? .......Never mind that question.......Let me rephrase the question.

Same scenario, but it is a 30 boat field. All boats have one dead 12" bass. All boats catch another big fish and could cull if only it were permitted.

Who reading this thinks all 30 boats would be honest and "not" cull the scrawny little dink with the three pounder?

If only one boat cheats the whole tournament was corrupted. If multiple boats cheated.....How fair was the tournament to those who were honest?

It only takes a very little amount of money to sway the morals of people.....after all it's only a little fishing contest.

·
Banned
2,976 Posts
The thought of a dead bass winning big bass is laughable...

·
Set The Hook`
4,215 Posts
bassman2.....problem with your statement is there is a lot of 'moral' people out there who would not cull a dead bass if it was not permitted......another problem is not everyone has morals and there is wayyyyy to many people out there who would just toss out the dead bass and throw in the bigger alive fish even if its not allowed.

I am the kind of guy who follows rules....who enters tournaments and follows was tournament rules are....its just the way I am....if someone really has to cheat to win a bass tournament and take home a couple hundred bucks or a thousand or whatever the pot may be......its pathetic and you're not a good fisherman at all you're considered a joke in my eyes. If you have to shove a weight down a fishs throat to try and win a tourny....you're a disgrace to and shouldnt be allowed to call yourself a fisherman. I hate cheaters. lol

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
in my opinion, a dead bass shouldnt be allowed to be weighed in for big bass. if the rule is in place that states you cant cull dead bass, if you do it you are cheating, plain and simple. i cant recall a tournament that i was in that allowed the culling of dead bass.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts