Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little help here! The last two times I have reached the ramp my battery hs been dead. I bought two new batteries and today I returned to the lake and that battery was dead. I have checked everything and nothing is on?

I had a new fishfinder installed and I think they did not wire correctly thus I am always draining the battery? I discoonected the leads to my battery today upon returning from fishing. I am going to return to the service center I think to have them verify everything is correct.

Thought I would just ask here if anyone had some info. Drop me a line thanks.

Traveye72

·
FIREFIGHTER/1ST RESPONDER
1,200 Posts
are u sure your battery charger is working? and are u sure the battery is takeing a charge and if it is u have a serious drain on the battery somewhere. with everything turned off take one of the terminals off of the battery and then try and put the terminal back o. if it makes a sound or kind of lets off a spark u have a drain on the battery some where

·
useless poster
8,804 Posts
is it an aluminum boat. a bare wire will drain the battery if it is touching the aluminum hull??? and it will corrode your hull over time. i would also check the electrolite levels in the battery or have auto zone check it for free. have you checked the water level in it lately?

·
useless poster
8,804 Posts
i use to always leave something on after fishing and it would drain the battery. now i installed a $5.00 battery swith to cut off all power,when i am done fishing. and i also put a dummy lite on it so i don't forget to turn that off too.

·
Defensor Fortis
4,374 Posts
I agree, you have something running or you have a short. Do you have a automatic bilge pump? Maybe a livewell courtesy light on? Best thing to do is get a battery switch like recommended by Freyedknot or something similar.

·
Administrator
9,450 Posts
I agree, you have something running or you have a short. Do you have a automatic bilge pump? Maybe a livewell courtesy light on? Best thing to do is get a battery switch like recommended by Freyedknot or something similar.
The switch is a good idea but does not solve the problem.
Whatever you have that is pulling a draw on the batteries will only get worse.

What type of engine to you have?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I had dead battery problems last year.
It was my new radio draining it.
Do you have a distress beacon built in your radio?
Even if you turn these radio's off, it still draws power for the beacon distress signal.
I fixed the problem easy.
Cut the connecter off an old battery charger and attached it to the power leads for the radio.
I connect it to the battery when ready to go out and disconnect it when I am not using it.
I have not had a dead battery sence I have done this with my radio.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I run a main power toggle switch to all my radio stuff so when I'm done I flip that off to cut all power to the audio stuff.

Do you have a voltmeter? Wouldn't be hard to just start checking leads to see what is drawing current.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I also had installed a toggle swith to shut power off to radio, but it did not do the trick.
A simple circut tester will work for finding power draws.
Try disconecting the radio a time of two and see if your battery still holds a charge.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all of the input!! I checked the battery tonite and everything is fine now? I will keep watching for sure. I don't know if something was on and is now off? I will have to keep checking?

Traveye72

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've heard that if you store your battery on concrete it will drain the charge. Is this true?
I can't promise this is true but my grandpa stored a set of new batteries over winter in his garage on the concrete floor and in spring time they were dead and would not take a charge.

I skimmed through freyedknot's post about batteries and didn't see anything in storage about not putting them on concrete.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts