close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

dead bait

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by 03zrider, Jan 27, 2005.

1. ok take it easy on me i am still pretty new to ice fishing .does it really matter wether wax worms are alive or not?i have not been able to get any live ones here in southeast ohio

2. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

i dont think it matters. they might just seem dead if theyre fresh from a refrigerator. once they die they turn black eventually. the only way they really look alive is if the sun hits them and they warm up. then they start wiggling pretty good. but you want them to stay dormant. once they start to die off and turn black pick them out of the rest of the good bait and throw them out. you want to keep them dry and the dead ones will make the sawdust too damp.

fresh waxies are a creamy beige, they look like they would burst with flavor. as they age/die they turn more grayish then black.

im no expert but these are just some of the things ive noticed.

3. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

Have you tried a pet store? Some carry waxies, most all pet stores carry mealworms.

An obeservation: I think they're less freeze-tolerant than maggots. Maggots can be brought back from the brink of frozen solid while waxies just kinda deflate and turn black and greasy.

I know, I have to stop myself sometimes :)

4. Fresh are much better than dead.