close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dayton airshow advice?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ski, Jun 19, 2017.

1. I'm Thinking about taking my son to the airshow this weekend. Any advice for a first timer?
    I need to take a look at their website for parking and what to bring/not bring.

Ski

2. take water

Saugeye Tom likes this.

3. ...and don't forget the obvious, sunglasses,sun screen and hat.
    Pocket knives are NOT permitted...and they WILL be looking for the outline of one in your pocket...maybe even ask you.
    You're right about checking out the site...click here and check out the 'restrictions' section for what you CANNOT bring (click menu-guest information-restrictions). There's a parking section as well:

https://www.daytonairshow.com/

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  4. chris1162

chris1162 team flatty

Take an umbrella for shade and a nice chair!

5. I went last year. Great time. They provided a free shuttle from the Air Force Museum that I rode. Dropped off right at the front gate. Seemed like it saved a lot of frustration with traffic in and out. Last year Kroger had discount tickets that saved a few bucks.

6. son-in-law worked security last year and said it was an oven due to no shade. sounds like solutions were presented above that could help.

7. buckeyebowman

buckeyebowman On the back 9 and loving it!

Great ideas! You know, the ancient Romans didn't invent the umbrella to keep rain off of them. They invented it to keep the sun off them!

Youngstown had it's air show this past weekend. I'm not sure who was here, but it may have been the Air Force Thunderbirds. I think I heard them leaving this morning, and they were flying SW toward Dayton. Talk about thunder! The storms we had last night did not compare! Shook the whole house, and I live 20 miles from the airport!

A local TV reporter took a ride with one of them for a news segment. They had to go all the way to Dayton to find some clear air so he could do some maneuvers for her. The anchorman asked how long it took to get there. 17 minutes! 17 minutes from Youngstown to Dayton in an F16! Unreal!

And I have to give the young lady credit. She didn't puke in her mask or anything, and the pilot told her they pulled 9 G's during one of his moves!

Just checked the Thunderbirds show schedule, and they are flying at Dayton this weekend. Don't know how old your boy is, just get him out there and make sure he's comfortable. His mind will be blown!

8. There are a few things in life that I am so glad I got to see... One of them was the Blue Angels. Rickenbacker Air Force Base use have a yearly Air show. (They dont anymore) Blue Angels were there at one show.. I am forever have them imprinted in my memory. Fascinating. Im sure the Thunderbird's are just as exciting.

9. Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to look into the parking at the museum and take note of the other stuff. I don't mind carrying chairs, water and umbrella to make it more comfortable. Looking forward to a guys day with my 11 year old son. Probably should take some ear plugs as well. Whenever I see military flying low it stirs some crazy emotions out of me.
    ski

10. buckeyebowman

buckeyebowman On the back 9 and loving it!

Here's another tip for staying cool that I got from my buddy. Take a couple of bandanas with you. They will have cold water for sale there. If the heat gets too extreme, soak the bandanas in cold water. Even lukewarm water works. Wring out well and tie around your necks. Amazing how they will help you cool down!

My buddy services gas drilling rigs in all seasons and at all times of the day and night. He's an expert at dealing with extreme weather and still being able to function.

11. James F

James F Senior Member

Take some earplugs or ear muffs,things get pretty loud especially for the little ones.Enjoy!I have been to many of them, but the best ones are the exercises most will never see,I watched the sea boil white, and then up pops a real Polaris missile:cool: Some thing I will never forget.And watching the Russian vessels head for the horizon:eek:

fastwater likes this.
  12. Thanks. Trying to figure out if we are going to park at the airport or take the shuttle from the museum.
    Also, read that we should take cash as nobody takes credit cards there.
    I assume they have food you can buy? Should we pack a lunch?
    It says no coolers, so I guess a soft backpack is ok?

13. Blue Angels would have made her puke.

huntindoggie22 likes this.
  14. I work near Dayton airport, one of the Thunderbirds skidded off the runway and ended up on its top. Not too sure why the didn't ground the planes during the heavy rain

Saugeye Tom likes this.
  15. From their site under Restrictions FAQ:

Answers to FAQs on Restrictions
    • Food is NOT prohibited but it must be wrapped in clear wrapping and not in a cooler.
    • Loose ice is prohibited because it is difficult to search. Ice packs ARE permitted.
    • A “cooler” is anything that was designed to insulate.
    • Often the contents are fine as long as they are NOT in a cooler
    Unopened bottled water is also permitted per the site as long as it is not in a cooler.

16. Took my son to the airshow and had a great time even though the Thunderbirds cancelled their show.
    We drove to the Air museum and bought our discounted tickets. We then drove to the other side of the museum and took the park and ride for $6. From what I heard there were a lot less people this year possibly due to the thunderbirds cancellation.
    The park and ride really worked out for us as the fields for parking were wet and they were parking people elsewhere and busing them in on school buses. There were several huge lines waiting at the exit and we were able to jump on our air conditioned bus for the 15 minute ride back to the museum.
    Was very impressed with the show and highly recommend it.

ski

fastwater likes this.
  17. F18's actually!!!! I went and saw the Blue Angels this past weekend in Latrobe Pa. To me they fly a little more disciplined than the thunderbirds but I may be just a little partial is all

squid_1 likes this.
  18. Specgrade

Specgrade Wannabe Worm Drowner

I hope everyone had a good time.