close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Darnest thing

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stampede, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

Was at cowan this morning 6:30am,back in the little coves to the right of the ramp.I'm pitching a buzz bait up through the pads.I just made a long cast and guiding my lure through the pads i glance up and see a big bird coming low across the water,first thought is a loon.I start thinking,is this loon going to turn or run into me and at the same time it picks my buzz bait up out of the water!!My line snaped tight and the lure fell in the water.It wasn't a loon but a BIG OWL !!! :eek: It must have surprised the owl too,when the line went tight i went oh $$$$,the owl lost his ballance,landed on a small bush,about fell in the water.He flew up on a big tree limb and a bunch of birds took after him and he flew off,i thought.I shook my head and cast again,he came out of the trees after the lure again!! I stopped the lure and let it sink,he flew over it,then up into the woods where i couldn't see him.He did this two more times.My question is can you catch a 20lb owl on 8lb test? :D

2. Back when i was a teenager i was surf fishing with (?) small mackerel and had a pelican catch my bait and try to fly away with it. I fought him and reeled him in until he was about 15 feet above me then cut the line. Away he went. Anyone remember those wind up planes that flew on the end of a string? It was kinda like that only LOUDER and scarier. HEHE.
    Huntinbull

3. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Make sure you get an Owl endorsement on your licences :D

4. 8lb test will work. most owls are all feathers and only weigh a few lbs.

5. "J"

"J"

I caught a Seagull on a Rebel Crawl at West Branch a few years back, but it spit before getting it to the boat, a Buddy caught one at Berlin wasn't so lucky had to bring it in the boat to get the hook out, and it pooped all over his boat, took them 15 minutes to get the hook out and an hour to clean up the boat.

6. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

Owls aren't very good eating, but Eagles are delicious.

7. What a hoot. Owl tell my friends this one.
    Hope I don't get barred for my response.

8. Man the Puns just kept coming didn't they?
    Huntinbull

9. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

yea,surprised me.Haven't had anything like that happen since the 70's. :D :D