Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I ran into my 2nd yellow jacket nest tonight while cutting the grass. It seems a little early cause I usually don't see them till August or September.

Anyway a real good way to get rid of the is to use Sevin Dust. Just sprinkle it at the entrance and as the come & go they drag some of the dust in the next with them The nest will be dead usually in about 24 hours.

·
name of Alex
4,719 Posts
Another trick, if they're passing through a hole in a wall: put the dust in a paper bag with the end torn open, and tape that over the hole so they have to pass through the dust to get in and out of the nest.

I have an old bag of Sevin in the garage, I didn't know it was still legal.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Na,,,Lowell...WAY more fun doin' it when they are flyin' around!! :D I mean,, At least if you are watching..... :D I have a length of 5/8 copper tubing,,with a quick air valve & air chuck coupling at the end of ,,with a "T" fit.,, ahead of the valve which makes a 2 tablespoon chamber with a screw-on-cap on it that I load with Sevin-dust,,& can power-drive the nests with a blast from the air-valve!! & it REALLY pisses them off,,for a while.... ----->>>>>sonar<<<<<----- P.S.,,if the nest is a paper ball,,like bald-face hornets(those F-18 Type black hornets),, you can put some gravel ahead of the sevin dust,,to break the cover open,,then leave immediately!!

·
Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)
5,882 Posts
just took care of two nests last night, one was easy but the other one was through a hole in the side of the house. I set up a shop vac, put the end near the opening, and got them coming and going. after a few hours I siliconed the hole. open the shop vac, they don't fly out, theyre all stunned, quickly spray a nice juicy coat of wasp killer, close shop vac, problem solved. ive done this about 4 times. seems like every year I find a nest in a new spot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts