close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dark Side of Oz

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ShakeDown, Dec 27, 2004.

1. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

About 20 years ago, I heard from a friends older brother that if you watch the Wizard Of Oz with Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon" album, and the music goes with the movie like Roger Waters conciously wrote it for it. I've heard that from others over the years as well, but never knew anyone who tried it.

I was pumped to find a DVD, where some diehard fan did just that...killed the Oz audio, and replaced it the the entire Dark Side album. Watched it this evening, and I'm completely blown away. It's downright eerie how well the music went with the scenes, and how exact and deliberate it felt. The lyrics and music were on the money, and the timing of scenes vs. music timings was PERFECT.

If you're a Floyd fan, you gotta get a hold of this if you've never tried or seen it. It will blow you away.

Now I'm gonna go spin some KISS records backwards :D

2. crappiebub

crappiebub Justcrazy's Guide!

There is a Pink Floyd cover band that plays the album live while they show the movie in a club in the Strip District of Pittsburgh every year. They say it is awsome. The radio station that sponsors it each year also played the album on air while the network showed the movie on TV. I watched it and it was really good.

3. Been there done that.... Whew I'm getting old LMAO
    I just bet you were freaked out (like I was too)...

4. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

Learned something new. But I haven't really followed them after Roger Waters left them. Just a different sound that didn't catch my ear any more. But Ummagumma set new horizons baby.;)

5. ShakeDown

atrkyhntr...freaked out is an understatment!! During the opening credits when Breathe kicked in, I shot outta my chair in complete disbelief...wild stuff.

I would love to see that live...they can keep the pig ;)

6. If anybody is interested there are several floyd concert dvd's on e-bay. Some date back to 1972
    mike

7. ShakeDown

Pompeii 74' is a classic ;)

8. Pharley

Pharley Hook 'Em

Wow, revisiting my college days....very very scary

9. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

O.K., which is your favorite album? :D

10. I have all of Pink Floyds albums on vinyl, except for ther very first ones. I have transfered all of them to cd's. I have never tried watching Oz and listening to Dark Side Of The Moon. But, I'll sure give it a try now.
    My favorites are:
    1. Dark side of the moon
    2. Wish you were here
    3. The wall

11. catking

catking Banned

Who thinks up all this stuff :D .......... Now I'll have to try this ;) CK

12. TxTransplant

TxTransplant Fishin Fool!

Hey Pete Moss....what do I need to get to transfer my vinyl's to CD. I have about 350 albums I'd like to get on disk. BTW Dark Side of the Moon is deffinately my favorite!

Gene

13. ShakeDown

1. Dark Side
    2. Meddle
    3. Ummagumma

14. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

Meddle has got to be one of the all time best albums EVER. It show a complete range of musical diversity spanning all catagories of music....from blues to jazz to folk/country (and of coarse) to hard rock....(Meddle)

15. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Thanks Dude!
    Man, I didn't want to be the first to admit I still owned Vinyl records. :D
    Including Dark side of the moon.

16. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

I think the most freaky part is when the scarecrow is singing "if i only had a brain" the name of the song that is playing on the pink floyd cd is "brain damage" :eek:

17. Dark side of the moon

18. TxTransplant

TxTransplant Fishin Fool!

Still have them and still playing them!

Gene

19. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Ditto! I still pull'em out from time to time too. :D
    I'm also interested in converting some of the LP's to CD. I had saw a while back a component to convert them over. It wasn't to expensive either...under $200 for the unit...but now I can't remember where I saw it. I've also heard you'll lose some of the high end frequency since it also takes out the popping from the LP.
    Anybody know about these conversion units????

20. ShakeDown

I would think you could buy a video capture box that has composite (RCA) jacks on it for $40 or less, and run your that to your A/V receiver outs, and do an audio only capture...basically, the same way you would cap a video to your pc...but without the video.