close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

darby

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by FLT_TUBE_JNKY, Jun 13, 2007.

1. FLT_TUBE_JNKY

FLT_TUBE_JNKY Uber Tuber

looking for someone to hit up darby with this afternoon around 5-6pm.

2. meisterdog

meisterdog mr. saturday night

I Would But Have Something To Do. Let Me Know Next Time Dude

3. just saw this.......too late, do you float or wade? I just got a kayak and want to try it out.

4. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

I'm hitting big walnut early sat. morning in the yak, anyone interested?

5. Would have been happy to if I could get some time off work, Im on vacation later this month maybe then.

6. StuckAtHome

just PM me a couple days in advance, sat. mornings are the only days right now until my 1 year old daughter learns to stay with someone besides me.

7. StuckAtHome

Here is my kayak armada

Boy my grass looks green, until the wife sees the water bill

Attached Files:

8. Stuckathome,

Which kayak you like better your SoT or your SiK? I have an Old Town Sport 9.5' and its a nice kayak but I like the versatility of a SoT and the storage space. I am looking at maybe getting a SoT next spring for fishing the Ohio River, Scioto River, etc.

Jake

9. StuckAtHome

Both have the merit, BUT... The larger SOT is an A grade compared to the Otter's C+! I put 2 extra full length rods(6 or more would easily fit) in the hatch when fishing, sometimes I keep two up top, mine has two rod holders behide the seat. I can also float shallower with the SOT, and tipping over is highly unlikely due to its stability. Last I looked Gander has 2 of these left at $450, they have another SOT forget the brand, its $650 but it looks sweet. The SOT is nice that you can bring EVERYTHING( I mount 1 or 2 milk crates behind me) with you, what is not behind you you store inside, and not a drop has ever got in there, and I never feel overloaded until I try to carry it off the river, but I carry a yak cart, so once to flat ground it rolls like a wagon and carries everything for me. Getting in and out is 1000000% easier, shallow or deep, doesn't matter just jump in.
    Its a mainstream Kingfisher by the way, the SIK is an old town Otter, which I still use now and then, its not a bad yak, just the kingfisher is that good for what I do.

10. darn, I am going to erie with a charter group Sat.

11. StuckAtHome

Still going alone sat. morning if anyone interested, your kayak or mine, but I get the SOT!!!!!!!

12. shwookie

shwookie fishing from a kayak

Hopefully your darby trip went better than mine tonight, caught one fish and then broke the butt of my brand new rod....:mad:

13. FLT_TUBE_JNKY

FLT_TUBE_JNKY Uber Tuber

ended up going ouy by myself @ broad st. Had 6 in two hours, largest being a whoping 14" all others were SMALL
    (6"-10"). all on pumpkinseed tube. Going to take dad out sunday to the honey hole in the tubes and show the old man how to fish. Too much on the honey do list to fish on sat.(will be sleeping in the garage if not done).

14. StuckAtHome

Guess I'm going alone(so far), Nieghbor works for net jets, follows me to park my car at takeout, then takes me to put in near his work before 6:30 am sat., wanted to hit a different river/ stretch, but oh well, at least I'm out.

15. could you give me some pros and cons on the two different types of kayaks

16. StuckAtHome

SOT( sit on top) is alot easier to get in and out, less prone to tipping or the feeling of tipping( all this appies to my experience, others may disagree) SOT: alot of them are made for fishing, which means you want to carry alot of gear, and you can get to most of your stuff without getting out, I just throw my legs over the side and pick threw my 2 milk crates, and behindf them I have room to strap my 30 gallon dry bag which I keep a spare set of clothes, rain suit, coat, 2 extra rells, line. If the SOT has a hatch, most do, it extends the length of the yak, I put 2-3 poles in there, not broke down, with my yak cart, extra tie downs, duct tape, kitchen sink... Also the SOT has alot of room to customize, rod holders, gps holder, drink holders. Also a benifit to the SOT, you NEVER have to bail out water you bring in, Scupper holes drain it back right away, mine has 9, I put golf balls in the ones under the seat, because I get in too quick and water shoots up to my bottom, if you get in easy, its not a problem and kayaking isn't a dry sport, you will get somewhat wet. SIK(sit in kayak) advandage is your protected from the weather/ wind/sunm thats about it for me, if you get it to fish, go with SOT for sure, my larger SOT floats shallower than my smaller ooter SIK, also the otter is a bit lighter, advandage SIK. Both a not speed demons, the fast ones don't fish as well, and they don't track the greatest, again, a wide boat is stabil, not fast, but they both handle fine in rivers/ creeks around here, but I feel much safer in the SOT. Another book by StuckAtHome

17. fishinking

fishinking G0 Bucks!

what is the weight limits of each model???? ty for the info!!!!!

18. StuckAtHome

my otter is roughly around 225, of course it runs better lighter, and the SOT kingfisher is between 250-300. I'm 5'8" 190, and both handle great, and don't feel even close to the limit, and I bet I carry 30-50 pounds of junk when I go with the SOT.

Went alone to Big walnut, caught roughly 20-30 fish, all rocks and SM with one confused saugeye, most on cranks, the rest on tubes. caught 3 nice SM, 14", 16" 17.5", last two on two casts to two different boulders. Lost 2 HUGE SM, one was biggest I'd seen, dark fellow compared to his younger cousins, jumped twice and threw it, guess it was going to be my PB SM(on creeks.rivers) around 18-20", guessing again about 4-5 pounder, man she was pretty and pulled my drag on baitcaster with 10 pound test. Whatg a fun day. This week I'm getting a new camera so I can post pics of fish and maybe of me hooking myself again.

19. What part of Walnut were you fishing???

20. StuckAtHome

Roughly between Morse and refugee, don't like giving any spots away, but there is some great fishing on the nut, with not alot of pressure, even though I did run into 2 sets of waders. Man did I have a blast though, too bad I ran out of time, I had to speed thru the last 1.5 miles to make it to where the wife picked me up, skipping some of my favorite holes, thats why I think kayak fishing for me is better than wading, I can skip unproductive water and only fish the best holes, wading you are forced to fish slower, so yuo can hit the same spots and cover them completely, me if no action I move on to find the active SM, its my favorite way of fishing. I do get out about once an hour to wade fish and rest my back, then back to the yak. Is it sat. yet?