close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Darby Sunday

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by StuckAtHome, Jul 29, 2007.

1. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

Had a great day on the Darby yakking, and those that have fished with know I use ONE lure mostly, and it does wonders, but I wanted to try new things and boy I'm a convert to plastics now. I caught all but one of my SM on plastics, one 15" on the crank. We caught roughly 6-7 each, nothing but SM, 7 over 14"!!!! Water was high and a bit muddy(maybe 4-6 inches high) and where we went if the water was normal, we would have dragged alot. One SM swallowed the darn 4/0 hook and had to give it to him or would have killed him removing him, I used side cutters and cut it close as I could( it wouldn't come out after it was hooked, I tried), hope he does ok. I'm whipped, here is a few pics...
    Mike

Attached Files:

2. StuckAtHome

My friend in the other pics is a nieghbor who bought a yak and is new to the whole creek SM fishing. The first few trips he did't do very good, but is learning quickly. Today he got his 1, 2 and 3rd SM of any size, and I do believe I have him hooked for life, but it was very nice to see how good he has got in such a short time, I bet he'll buy a SOT next!
    Mike

3. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

Good pics Mike and good to see you had a good day out the water. That bit of rain we got I'm sure helped. What's this about you using soft plastics. I seen you signed up over on RS.com and figured you might have got some good info over there. Some of those guys really know there stuff! Congratulations again on a good day on the water.

CG

4. StuckAtHome

Thanks critter, yea I signed on over there, some great info and they get to fish some rivers we can only dream about, but we have a few here in Oh that aren't TOO bad. I'm a crankbait man, always have been but everyone seems to do well with plastics so I wanted to see what I'm missing(not that I don't catch some good fish with cranks). I'm in love! Black Senko's(4") weightless seemed to be the ticket today, only thing I think they look like to a smallie is a hellgre, or maybe nothing they ever seen and thats it, or the action of these simple baits darting and falling are too much, they sure look cool in action. I even caught a few on sluggo's, never did try a tube today, had to keep the senko in the water, I do need to retrain myself on setting the hook, missed LOTS and had dozens hold on and let go because I'm used to cranks where you just need to reel. Had a blast can't wait to get back!
    Mike

5. Nice fish..to bad I was stuck at work this morning:(

6. shwookie

shwookie fishing from a kayak

Hey mike, how'd you rig the senko? I have only caught 1 lm on a senko wacky rigged.
    Sounds like you did really well given the condition of the water.

I went friday where me and you put in and sat right below the rapids when we first put in, there were a lot of fish in there, next time we will have to spend more time at that spot. Nothing huge, but lots of action.

We need to hook up sometime here soon again.

7. Bubba bass bigfoot

Bubba bass bigfoot Lucky Fisher, or skilled?

Nice fish. I had a feeling about today, but my dad had allot of yard work to do, we were still going to go, but made plans for sometime this week, so we would have more time. I just had a gut feeling today was the day.

We went Saturday to a spot that has produced some big fish, not much in numbers (fished only 2 times) And this time no SMALLIES, dong. I got a sunfish thats all that was caught, saw a fish swimming by that was about 15-17inches, but wanted nothing to do with our lure. We tossed everything, got bites on only bigger lures, but fish were to small to take them.

Just a tough and frustrating day.

Glad you did better.

8. StuckAtHome

I rig it weightless Texas style, when I'm losing too many I expose the hook, doesn't snag very much, I'm not fishing timber, mostly rocks. Darn senkos are $$$$$, gotta find a cheaper brand(is there is one) that is heavy like them, seems like a different type of plastics, and they don't hold up as well as normal plastics in my opinion. I do "fix them" so I don't waste much by using a lighter on them, melting the holes in the head, if its really bad I pull off 1/2" of the head and fish a smaller senko, I'm cheap! Going to try senko's at a local pond (private) that about 15 acres in my yak this week with my boy, good chance to have him fish and yak on flat water before I get him on the SM's!

9. Bubba bass bigfoot

Bubba bass bigfoot Lucky Fisher, or skilled?

Strike 3x ones and cheaper and last allot longer. Only get 5 per pack. I got the BPS ones, you get 20 for 3-4$.

10. bmffishing247

bmffishing247 Fishing Is Life!