close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

darby help

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by fishingfireman, Jul 11, 2007.

1. I am going out fishing this evening and want to try the Darby creek area probablly around the Batelle metro park. Are there any areas that are batter than others? last time I waded from the sledding hill south, it was pretty shallow are there any deeper holes to the north? I'm not looking for any honey holes, I just need a good starting area.

2. shwookie

shwookie fishing from a kayak

Just south of 40 there is a deeper hole, one slightly north as well. Easy wading for the most part. I fished there yesterday actually. You can park legally under 40 too.
    I have had a tough year for the most part on the darby, hopefully someone with better luck can give you some more help. The water is way low right now, where there normally are riffles, there is nothing.
    I can tell you that a chart. grub has been the only thing to consistently catch me fish. Mostly been crappie and bluegill though, very few smallies for me, so far.

Geez, I didn't realize the time you posted, sorry.

3. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

Fishingfire What Dept do you work for? I'm with CFD.

4. Hey bigcheesie I work for Upper Arlington. If you don't mind hanging out with a "township guy" maybe we can hit the water sometime. I made it out and managed my first 3 smallmouth ever. 6,8,and 11 inches. the water was very shallow and hardly any deep areas. I would recomend a different area, the Darby was almost dry in some spots. A tube bait is what was producing. I'm not sure if i rigged it properly though, any advice on how to rig tube baits? I rigged them similar to how you would rig a twistertail and a 1/8 oz. jig.

5. FLT_TUBE_JNKY

FLT_TUBE_JNKY Uber Tuber

hit the darby last night @ praire oaks south. went upstream for about 200 yards and was all ankle deep, so turned around and went south to I-70. there are some deep holes if you go south. I was using a 3" pumpkinseed tube carolina rig with no wieght. caught 2, biggest being 14 to 15". Buddy was useing a rebel craw and was catching rock bass. not a verry good night by my standards for darby. Looks like its back to the belly tube till we get some rain.

6. shwookie

You said pumpkinseed, which to me was always brown with black flecks, lately I have seen green with black flecks also called pumpkinseed.
    Can you tell me which pumpkinseed?
    Thanks.

7. FLT_TUBE_JNKY

FLT_TUBE_JNKY Uber Tuber

Shwookie:

I was useing venom 3" salty tube pumpkinseed(brownish-orange). I know what you mean, to me pumpkinseed is brown hence the name. I have the green pumpkinseed but dont seem to do as well with them.

8. how do you do a carolina rig without weight? I was under the impression that a carolina rig went weight-glass bead-12-18 inches of line then the hook and bait. are you rigging it with no weight or just a small weight?

9. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

No worry here brother, I KNOW what you UA township guys get paid:D
    Be my pleasure to do some fishing with ya.

10. shwookie

Thanks Mr. JNKY.

11. FLT_TUBE_JNKY

FLT_TUBE_JNKY Uber Tuber

fishingfireman:

with the water being so low I have been using no wieght, just let the hook pull it to the bottom. If I have to wieght it for deeper water or curent I'll use the smallest wieght I can find or if I have time I make my own wieghted tube hooks.

12. Docjr

Docjr 800 miles from Hatteras

Best friend & I have been talking about heading to Trapper John's this weekend for a float trip - is there enough flow to make it worthwhile, or should we plan on hoofing it? Appreciate any eye-witness reports.