close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dams??

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by midoh39, Dec 23, 2008.

1. midoh39

midoh39 member

Has anyone hit the Troy or Piqua dams as of lately? Im thinking of trying one of the 2 tommorow if the water is frozen. THanks

2. I fished Troy Dam for all of 20 minutes last Friday. The water was high, choppy, sloppy and treacherous so I don't suggest it. I'm going to PM some info.

3. One of my friends hit the Piqua Dam yesterday. Said it was fishable if you were wading. Water was a little dirty with debris. He only caught a single saugeye (medium sized) up by the tier of rocks a little down from the dam. And thinks he snagged a big carp since he pulled in a big brown scale after it got off. Said there was just a little ice around the edges.

It might be worthy to fish it in the next couple of days while the weather is warmer if you can handle the rain-ish stuff coming out of the clouds.

Here's a tip if you don't already know it ... if you are wading up towards the dam from the little downstream park area concentrait on the left side until you get to the damn. That seems to be where any saugeye are hanging out if they are not right up on the damn or rocks. Sometimes you'll find them there, sometimes you won't. Like all dams that spot gets the hell fished out of it. But I've never caught one on the right side of the river wading up towards the dam if you can believe that. And that;s over a lot of years. Be careful of those holes and rocks in there. Walk slow. I think the Piqua dam is a little more trechorous in winter than the Troy Dam if you don't know the water well. Seems to be a few more things in there to trip you up. Rocks seem to be a bit more slimey. Not good in cold water.

4. midoh39

midoh39 member

jimnrg, newbreed. Thanks for the info. I decided not to go today with all this rain that we got. I'll try the Piqua dam sometime next week. I've only fished it once and caught a couple of dinks, but I didnt try the area you told me about. Once again thanks.