Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've talked to a bunch of anglers around here and they all said to go to this dam. I've gone there a few times and all i can catch is white bass, while everyone around me is bringing in 23'' saugeye, suager, walleye and 30lb catfish and i can jsut catch 5 in white bass. What am i doing wrong and has anyone else fished this dam before.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Ok if your using a curly tail and a jighead and only catching white bass then I would guess that it is not getting deep enough or the curly tail is too small.

Try using 1/4 - 3/8 oz jig head and 3" - 4" curly tail.

If you already are using those then I would say it is just pure bad luck.

If you see an older man there, he is my neighbor, his name is Joe and he catches ALOT of big fish there. (I've seen him catch flatheads in excess of 40lbs on curly tails and jigheads and as many as 10 a day.) Ask him what he is catching them on and when. But be careful I've seen him tell people the fish only bite there 2 times a day. Before you get there and after you leave. :D

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
(I've seen him catch flatheads in excess of 40lbs on curly tails and jigheads and as many as 10 a day.)
Are you saying 10 Flatheads in Excess of 40# per day? If so I would have to see that one in order to beleive it. I know people catch smaller Flatheads theer on jogs & a couple OGF memebrs, Young Whiskers & Old Whiskers catch Flatheads there during the reg season, but 10 over 40# in a day... on jigs?

·
Registered
322 Posts
In a couple of weeks, it is likely that you will catch as many flatheads on orange, chartreuse, or white 3" tails as you will saugeye...It is unreal if you can get the right conditions.

As for Joe catching huge fish on jigs, it is absolutely true. I have seen him pull more 30-40 flatheads out of there on little chartreuse jigs than any other person has EVER caught on live bait...

·
Registered
61 Posts
if its cats your trying to go after then i usaully throw shad from the river, you can buy a cast net and catch your own bait ( pays for its self after about two weeks) i've had the most luck with live shad about 6 inches long on the bottom with a free sliding 2 oz sinker. now if its the eyes your going for then throw 4 inch yellow, orange, or chart. curly tail. make sure your throwin way out there too... you might get some snags but its worth it. i just work em slow along the bottom for the eyes... hope this helps you out.... good luck and let us know how you do.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Forecast for the river is a rise of about 2.5' by 2pm tomorrow and then gradually falling. How will this effect the fishing? Mainly the walleye and saugeye or saugers? And one other question is it safe to eat fish out of the GMR? Reason I'm asking is that I just started fishing it and am not really sure.

·
Registered
322 Posts
SmallieKing,

A rise of 2.5' at the gauge above the Knightsbridge dam will result in a rise of close to 4' below the dam. This makes the area basically unfishable. Barring rain the rest of the week, and assuming the river comes up 2.5', it should be good again in 4-5 days. Flow of about 4000 cfs or less is a good measure of whether it would be worth the trip, though you can catch fish up to probably 6 or 7000 cfs (www.usgs.gov)

As for eating fish out of the GMR, I think the ODNR recommends no more than one meal per month, but if you had seen some of the things being pumped into that river, you wouldn't even think about putting those fish in your mouth...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts