close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dale Jr. Overrated

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by zimmerj, Nov 21, 2017.

1. I think he was very overrated as a driver. It's all about winning the championship and he didn't come close in his career. He may have been popular but he was average as a driver.

Shortdrift and cane pole like this.
  2. Had he been able to stay at DEI I think things might of been different. His performance was never the same at Hendricks. He's a great driver! Racing is so much of a mental sport I believe it took his head out of the game

3. If your sole qualifier is winning the championship, then yes, he was an average driver.

Since the series began in '49, there have only been about 32 different winners - not even enough drivers to complete a field. That leaves of lot "average drivers" to compare.

4. Weird thread, not sure the point of it. But having 26 Cup series wins is hardly being over-rated or average. If anything, he's probably under-rated since he never won a cup and hasn't run great the last few years. His biggest fault, from the time he started in the Cup series, was that he was more worried about being respected by other drivers instead of just winning.
    And lets be honest, the Championship hasn't meant anything since they went to the "play off" format.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    TDD11, T-180, fastwater and 1 other person like this.
  5. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

He had a fine career. You can't take that away from him. He's made a nice living. If he goes to the booth or no matter what he does, he'll be fine.

A big part of his popularity came from his dad. Fans were so upset to lose their beloved driver, the man, the legend that they had nothing else to gravitate to. The only other driver that was truly connected to The Intimidator was his son. Those were really big shoes to fill. I don't think anyone could have successfully. Dale was bigger than the track, bigger than the race, he was a transcendent personality and Dale Jr just wasn't ever that. He didn't try to be, and good for him. He was himself first, and a pretty good driver. I think that's good enough.

You want over-rated? I give you Dick Trickle. In 24 years he had 0 race wins and 1 career pole position.

6. Talk about one's popularity coming from his name.... :D

Oh, and I'm not sure you could have worded that much worse.

7. crittergitter

Race announcers could say you never saw a Dick Trickle in victory lane! :D

Snakecharmer and M.Magis like this.
  8. CFIden

CFIden

His parents should be strung up. Who names their kid Dick when their last name is Trickle? I'll bet growing up he was either a tough SOB or he never had any lunch money.

9. buckeyebowman

buckeyebowman On the back 9 and loving it!

I doubt they did. They probably named him Richard. He could have gone by that, or Rick, or Rich. There a local farming family by the last name of Bare. Their Son, who took over the business, was also named Richard. Guess what all their stuff reads. Yep! Dick Bare Farms!

10. Always liked Jr.
    I think he drove more 'on the edge' when he first started out.
    But after Sr's death and a few hard crashes of his own when he was still with DEI, I just don't think he drove on that edge anymore.

11. ress

ress

The best thing he did was never complained or bitched because he wasnt winning alot. Didnt try to blame someone else.

12. The lovely Ms Patrick:

13. Everyone (at least here, where the Earnharts and Pettys are from) expected their sons to be reincarnations of their mighty fathers. A very tall order indeed. Both won several races, Kyle and Junior, but neither reached the mountain top on which their Dads reside. A Richard Petty and Earnhart Sr don't come around everyday..

Shortdrift and fastwater like this.
  14. jr might not have been the greatest driver but he sure had a great following and was good for the racing sport. he always seemed to take everything in stride. he wasn't a big cry baby.
    sherman

15. TDD11

TDD11

Guess I just saw this. I'm a fan of Keslowski and Blaney, and a Ford guy. I always thought JR was over-rated, and only popular or even in the sport because of who his dad was.

For the past season, I followed JR on social media, watched his interviews, and listened to his weekly podcast, and my impression of him has changed greatly. He is just a great guy, a great person. Modest, and is the first one to point out how fortunate and undeserving he is of everything in his life. I'd say he's the #1 driver I would want to have a couple beers with.

No doubt JR hasn't been on "the edge" or racing aggressively, for a few years. I think a few crashes of his, as well as his dad's passing, just kind of scarred him and holds him back a little - mentally. I still have great respect for him. He was put in the spotlight and has always handled it graciously. Highly recommend people listen to his podcast, The Dale JR Download.

fastwater likes this.
  16. crittergitter

He truly is a good dude. I have always admired him for that. Stand up guy for sure.

17. ress

ress

Getting married will tame a person too. Now he has a baby girl coming!

18. crittergitter

He's dropping the puck at Nationwide Arena at tonight's Blue Jackets game.

ress and TDD11 like this.
  19. He loves sports. He is sometimes seen at the Carolina Hurricanes' games, and at Cameron Indoor Stadium watching Duke Basketball.

20. ress

ress

Loves Washington Redskins too.