Ohio Game Fishing banner
21 - 40 of 190 Posts

· Registered
4,204 Posts
I went back working for exercise, both lower body and upper.... got real soft , where not doing much around the house made me sore..... and wondered what the heck??
Knees hurt bad, but keep on going
Those chains and binders on & off , up and down off the truck in and out of the tractor
The in town short runs (pickup & deliveries) add to the days soreness driving less and working the bed more..... kinda getting paid for a workout.....(never did the gym thing) always got my workout on the job, while doing ironwork, now my second part time career, turned into full time

Cloud Sky Tire Wheel Automotive tire

Cloud Tire Sky Wheel Vehicle

Using this 50 thousand lb fork to set sections of scales from the end 20ft long 10,000lbs
Cloud Sky Road surface Asphalt Land lot

Then playing in the hills with firewood
With minimal equipment
Wood Grass Biome Gas Automotive tire

Just what mother nature gives
Natural environment Wood Natural landscape Branch Plant

· Registered
7,461 Posts
anyone want to start a thread about walking for exercise? I do, i started a couple years ago after i heard about the benefits of walking and being put on blood pressure meds, I started walking daily 4-5 times a week, then i fell on black ice, I really messed up my shoulder and quit walking..

well my job duties changed at work last October and ive gained over 20 pounds since taking on this new position. im not as active as i was, i was getting red in the face just putting on my sox or tying my shoes. i started walking again back in December, about 3 times a week and now ive really been giving it a serious effort.

let me know if you walk for stress relief, walk your dog, walk for exercise or just like to walk. im going to try to post everyday i walk and encourage you to post if you do also. it'll be a bit of motivation for me and hopefully you.

under Armour has an app i really like and ive been using since i started walking couple years ago. its called "map my walk" im going to post my walks in this thread from that app and keep updating as i go on. i hope to get some of you to join in, ive been walking around my home town and let me tell you, ive forgotten a lot of things are still here and remember them from my childhood when i had no choice but to walk.

since ive started walking i was at 225 pounds of blubber, now im down to 219
... one of the best things you can do for your health.... kuddos on stayin with it. 👍👍

· Registered
10,405 Posts
I need to start(something), and soon! My Lupron hormone shots for prostate cancer knocked my testosterone level way down.. The last of four 6 mos duration shots is now wearing off and doc said my testos. should be coming up and I’ll feel better. I’ve noticed already I have a bit more energy(the other day, I was able to bring half a cord of firewood from my woods up to the house, changed the oil in my truck, shop at Wmart(a lot of walking), feed the animals in the woods and fill two bird feeders in the yard w/o getting tired/bushed!) That was a revelation! I have gone from 210 to~225 also, over the past year. I used to only do the things that “Had to be done”. I Would love to walk every day but my hips, feet, and lower back hurt when I walk a lot. I watch tv at night and looking into a stationary exercise bike to pedal while watching! If I can get back into condition, I’ll start a walking regime.

· On the back 9 and loving it!
10,874 Posts
A while ago while moving around the house I caught myself "shuffling". I thought "This is no good!" Monday through Saturday I would drive down to the gas station on the corner to get the paper. I thought that maybe i should start walking it. Only a block and a half each way, so three blocks total. That's what I started with, and it wasn't all that easy at first. I try to walk it every day unless it's pouring rain. If it's just sprinkling I take an umbrella. Now I've started to mix in some longer walks.

I had an ACL reconstruction on my right knee way back when the procedure was first developed, and there's lots of wear and tear on both knees. Too much sports in my misspent youth. But, since I've started walking, my knees actually hurt less! The old stride has come back, and I'm no longer shuffling.

· Premium Member
610 Posts
As a custodian at a high school I average around 6 to 7 miles a day. One thing I encourage is getting a really good pair of shoes. I wear Hoka One One Bondi shoes. They have the most cushioning I can find in any running/training type shoe. Keep up the walking, and remember a body in motion stays in motion! Just don’t be too hard on yourself because we all gain weight this time of season.

· Registered
1,155 Posts
After My dog passed a little over two years ago. I didn't get out as much walking. Also My son who I used to backpacked with a lot moved to far away (Alaska). I quit smoking, stopped walking as much so I put on a few pounds. Even though I've been super busy work wise, I'm in construction. I still put some pounds on in the middle section. Could have been the Beer too.
I did have some knee issues so I started biking some because it was easier on my knees. I turned 60 this past fall so I've thinking about my health more.
Anyways I've been pushing myself to get out walking and hiking as much as possible.
In fact today I went on a longer than expected hike today of 12 miles.

· the Susan Lucci of OGF
16,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I walk 5-6 days a week. I started to help with healthy living. I found that I love walking, regardless of weather. I like it because I can do it anytime I want and do it for any amount of time. I usually walk between 30 and 75 minutes. I do one long walk per week. I always vary my route and time (you never get board and your body doesn’t get used to the exercis). I talk and walk with neighbors or myself. My doctor thinks it is great, my BP and blood test numbers are great and I have little stress. Instead of a gym where you have to pay, have restricted hours and are exposed to germs. Walking is a big part of my life, I love doing it. Gary
Thanks for that Gary, that is great my man and some serious motivation for me!!

· the Susan Lucci of OGF
16,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
A while ago while moving around the house I caught myself "shuffling". I thought "This is no good!" Monday through Saturday I would drive down to the gas station on the corner to get the paper. I thought that maybe i should start walking it. Only a block and a half each way, so three blocks total. That's what I started with, and it wasn't all that easy at first. I try to walk it every day unless it's pouring rain. If it's just sprinkling I take an umbrella. Now I've started to mix in some longer walks.

I had an ACL reconstruction on my right knee way back when the procedure was first developed, and there's lots of wear and tear on both knees. Too much sports in my misspent youth. But, since I've started walking, my knees actually hurt less! The old stride has come back, and I'm no longer shuffling.
Baby steps come to mind, great to hear you’re in less pain and I can verify this is true, I feel so much better and take a lot less aspirin since I’ve gotten back into walking.

· the Susan Lucci of OGF
16,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
At 225 lbs on 9/6/22, I decided to lose weight. That day, my Dr suggested I do "plank" exercises (hold for 1 minute each) & try to walk 1 hour a day. Since I'm 76 years old working full time + overtime (40-45 hrs/week) with varying start & finish times, I don't do the hour walk every day but enough that, so far, I've dropped 30 lbs (to 195, pushing for 175).

All of you trying, keep it up. I'm proof that walking works. I try to do the full hour at one time and I also try to create longer walks for myself by parking far back in parking lots, climbing lots of steps, returning shopping carts for other folks, etc.

Mike
That’s great mike, I too always park as far away from the entrance that I can, return the other guys cart. Do it because I’m thinking about getting steps in..

· the Susan Lucci of OGF
16,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I need to start(something), and soon! My Lupron hormone shots for prostate cancer knocked my testosterone level way down.. The last of four 6 mos duration shots is now wearing off and doc said my testos. should be coming up and I’ll feel better. I’ve noticed already I have a bit more energy(the other day, I was able to bring half a cord of firewood from my woods up to the house, changed the oil in my truck, shop at Wmart(a lot of walking), feed the animals in the woods and fill two bird feeders in the yard w/o getting tired/bushed!) That was a revelation! I have gone from 210 to~225 also, over the past year. I used to only do the things that “Had to be done”. I Would love to walk every day but my hips, feet, and lower back hurt when I walk a lot. I watch tv at night and looking into a stationary exercise bike to pedal while watching! If I can get back into condition, I’ll start a walking regime.
Walk man, just get out and do it, you’ll be surprised how easy it is and how fast you start to feel better.

· Registered
43 Posts
I use to jog 20-25 miles a week until I had my leg broke a accident in 1999. Still have plates & screws in it. I started riding a stationary bike within the year & doing 30 minutes a day. I have the bike in front of a tv to avoid boredom. Was also walking 2 miles a day until about a year ago. Been putting off a knee replacement. The leg is now bowed & causing meniscus problems & other ones.
Still riding the stationary bike even though I am using a cane to get around. Going to schedule x-rays to start the procedure for the surgery.Will be 78 this yr & live alone so I won't have much support.
If I have the surgery & it is successful I hope to get back into walking again. I use to walk at Mosquito State Park almost everyday. .

· retired pipefitter120/669 sprinkler fitter
1,649 Posts
Take it from someone who knows walk well you can, never know when you will not be able to. Pinched nerves and 4 surgeries later using a walker, taking PT 3 times a week. I use the Y down here at Cane Bay (Summerville S.C.) after PT is done. I would encourage anyone to count your steps and add 10 more each time you walk, you would be surprised how quickly it will add up.

· Conservation,the best story that's never told
699 Posts
After hunting season it seams i get out of shape a little until ,spring turkey season.

During this time i move my beer to the fridge downstairs so not only am i getting in walking steps i also get an additional 10 steps to climb the stairs.

You can follow me online for more excursive and heath care advise :)

All BS aside.............This is a good thread Keep it up EZ

21 - 40 of 190 Posts