Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 164 Posts

· the Susan Lucci of OGF
16,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone want to start a thread about walking for exercise? I do, i started a couple years ago after i heard about the benefits of walking and being put on blood pressure meds, I started walking daily 4-5 times a week, then i fell on black ice, I really messed up my shoulder and quit walking..

well my job duties changed at work last October and ive gained over 20 pounds since taking on this new position. im not as active as i was, i was getting red in the face just putting on my sox or tying my shoes. i started walking again back in December, about 3 times a week and now ive really been giving it a serious effort.

let me know if you walk for stress relief, walk your dog, walk for exercise or just like to walk. im going to try to post everyday i walk and encourage you to post if you do also. it'll be a bit of motivation for me and hopefully you.

under Armour has an app i really like and ive been using since i started walking couple years ago. its called "map my walk" im going to post my walks in this thread from that app and keep updating as i go on. i hope to get some of you to join in, ive been walking around my home town and let me tell you, ive forgotten a lot of things are still here and remember them from my childhood when i had no choice but to walk.

since ive started walking i was at 225 pounds of blubber, now im down to 219

· the Susan Lucci of OGF
16,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Font Parallel Rectangle Slope Map

I’ve been trying to do between 1.5-2 miles a day, there are days I just do a mile but I figure that’s better than not doing a mile. Today I did 3 miles for the first time because I’m going to watch the mighty Buffalo Bills whoop up on the bengals and pizza, shrimp and vodka cranberry is in the menu.

· the Susan Lucci of OGF
16,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I try and walk 3 to 5 miles as often as i can ..I'm retired so i try daily but it don't always work out ....but you can't out walk a bad diet....lol....
you cant walk everyday, things come up and i dont like walking in the rain, cold i can handle, wet feet suck.. keep walking

· the Susan Lucci of OGF
16,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Come down Susan. The hills will do ya good. Denise and I’ve walked a couple times this year. She’s way ahead of me. The hills will get ya. Need to do it every day for sure. You know diet is a big thing too.
oh i know, they'll whoop you

· Registered
1,708 Posts
I need to get back into walking. Simple but boring. I walked a lot up until about 2015. Always to get in shape for the annual deer camp in WV. Being buried in front of a computer for the last couple years has put some unwanted weight on me but working 10-11 hrs a day leaves me with little energy when I get home.

· the Susan Lucci of OGF
16,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I need to get back into walking. Simple but boring. I walked a lot up until about 2015. Always to get in shape for the annual deer camp in WV. Being buried in front of a computer for the last couple years has put some unwanted weight on me but working 10-11 hrs a day leaves me with little energy when I get home.
sounds like an excuse, thats what i tell myself, i work plenty of 12's and those are the days i walk after work before going home, if i go home, im done. like i said.. one mile is better than no mile.

· the Susan Lucci of OGF
16,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
EZB good for you and keep at it. I take the pooch to the park everyday after work rain, snow, or shine. Minimum 1 mile. On the weekend twice a day but longer hikes. Has helped maintaining weight as well as keeping my bp, chol, and sugar number where they should be. GL. ;)
great to hear! keep it up.

· Registered
12 Posts
I walk 5-6 days a week. I started to help with healthy living. I found that I love walking, regardless of weather. I like it because I can do it anytime I want and do it for any amount of time. I usually walk between 30 and 75 minutes. I do one long walk per week. I always vary my route and time (you never get board and your body doesn’t get used to the exercis). I talk and walk with neighbors or myself. My doctor thinks it is great, my BP and blood test numbers are great and I have little stress. Instead of a gym where you have to pay, have restricted hours and are exposed to germs. Walking is a big part of my life, I love doing it. Gary

· The end is near
10,692 Posts
View attachment 503250
I’ve been trying to do between 1.5-2 miles a day, there are days I just do a mile but I figure that’s better than not doing a mile. Today I did 3 miles for the first time because I’m going to watch the mighty Buffalo Bills whoop up on the bengals and pizza, shrimp and vodka cranberry is in the menu.
Uh, your Bill's aren't doing too good.

· Registered
1,973 Posts
At 225 lbs on 9/6/22, I decided to lose weight. That day, my Dr suggested I do "plank" exercises (hold for 1 minute each) & try to walk 1 hour a day. Since I'm 76 years old working full time + overtime (40-45 hrs/week) with varying start & finish times, I don't do the hour walk every day but enough that, so far, I've dropped 30 lbs (to 195, pushing for 175).

All of you trying, keep it up. I'm proof that walking works. I try to do the full hour at one time and I also try to create longer walks for myself by parking far back in parking lots, climbing lots of steps, returning shopping carts for other folks, etc.

Mike

1 - 20 of 164 Posts