Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just heard at the tavern last night that this season in the CWD area, centered around Killdeer Plains, Upper Sandusky. Had less hunters due to the CWD issue and that 5 harvested deer are confirmed with CWD so far. I heard nothing specific but the guy was sure of it. We live close to the epicenter, Findlay, Hancock County adjoining to the zone. Our group did get one nice 10 pt buck that was sick, skinny as heck, the butcher would not take it in, it was not tested.

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
10,331 Posts
My BIL hunts a private farm in SE Ohio not far North of Marietta. He's never had CWD there, but he's been through several bouts of EHD (Epizootic Hemmoragic Disease). During the last outbreak, he noticed that he wasn't seeing the deer like he usually does. He also knew it was a drought year, and the little creek that flows through the farm was nearly totally dried up. This allows the damn midges to come out and get the deer sick. After hunting one morning and seeing nothing again, he decided to walk the entire length of that creek through the farm. He said the banks were just littered with dead deer! He told me it takes a good 4-5 years for the herd to recover enough to make it worthwhile going down there.

And the group responsible for introducing it to Ohio won't be held to account for some reason ...

Can they actually pinpoint this group?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts