close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cuyahoga Smallies

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by tmerk, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Anybody fish the Cuyahoga further downstream than the Cascade Valley (north towards Cleveland)? I've have fished the Chuckery a few times, and done fairly well, but it seems to get a lot of traffic...looking for more space, I guess. Any access points and/or tips would be greatly appreciated!

2. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

route 82 towards cleveland. Access from Brecksville.

flash------------------------out

3. Thanks, KSU....is the river wadeable that far downstream? Is there a park, etc. in Brecksville that provides access? Thanks again.

4. if u take route 82 eastbound past route 21 you will come to riverview road make a right on riverview and then left into the parking lot at the bottom of the hill walk across the bridge and follow the trail to the dam, its not far. i have had a few good days there but i know of people that have had really good luck with smallies there. yes its wadable after the dam, im not sure about before it i have never fished there. farther north there are some spots near valley view that people do well at.

5. There are some good spots in the CVNRA (national park) From Portage path (metroparks path across from the BP) and up to peninsula. Just drive down the road and pull of wherever you safely can or in the several trail head areas. If you're a biker take the towpath trail and scout it out. If you aren't after size many of the tribs entering the cuyahoga can also be good to wade at times.

6. there are literally miles of river that is wadeable north of rt. 82. It is all within the Cuy. Valley Natl. Rec Area, so it is accessable (public), until you reach Rockside Rd. You could spend days finding areas which receive less fishing pressure because they are farther from the roads. Start here: http://www.nps.gov/archive/cuva/planavisit/maps/index.htm

SM Bass all along this stretch. There are parking areas all along here. If you are looking for more room, just walk to areas which are farther from the road.

7. Remember no live bait is allowed though in the cvnp.

8. Agent47

Agent47 Trying to pull it in!!!!

I used to fish Station road at the point where the Civil War cannon ball factory was, did decent, this was a few years ago, not sure if its open but was always a nice location.

9. I got five hours of fast action fishing North of the dam two weeks ago using half of a nightcrawler on the bottom. No smallmoth bass caught.
    The catch:
    10 bluegills
    4 bullhead
    3 pumkinseed sunfish
    2 white perch
    1 channel catfish

LOTS OF SNAGS, the river did give to me a F-11 shiner colored floating rapala and two rebel crayfish lures that I snagged while reeling in.

Kaz32

10. Thanks for all the info, guys. I'm gonna check out the Riverview Rd/Rt. 82 area early Saturday a.m. with my dad...I'll let you know how we do!

11. creekcrawler

creekcrawler Konfused Kayaker

Hey there Agent47 - I'm pretty good with the local history of the valley down there, but never heard about a cannonball factory. Got any details about that???

12. Where there is rocks you will find smallies.........

13. Agent47

Agent47 Trying to pull it in!!!!

Creek,.
    Bare with me as I try and explain what I remember, I know we made a right off of what I believe was Riverview and it was a SHARP right then down a decent hill to the parking lot which ran beside what I thought was the towpath I believe it was called. At the far edge looking at the river was a black powder factory for making cannonballs during the civil war we were told during a tour back in the early 90's.

14. creekcrawler

creekcrawler Konfused Kayaker

Thanks Agent47. I'll have to look that one up.