close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

cuyahoga river

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by greg3891, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Fished the cuyahoga river thursday evening and again sunday evening and have been killing the small mouths. It is a blast to catch them on a fly rod, but the river is very tricky to wade lots of fast current and slippery big boulders, so be careful. Also do not wade this river with out waders, lots of junk. :( , but still fun to fish. Ready for hardwater

2. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

Where at on the Cuyahoga, generally?

3. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

i'm guessing in between mantua and Cleveland.

4. Nice job Greg, on the smallies.

I'm dying for ice season to start too. I can't wait.

5. I was across from the golf course(valley view). just down from tallmadge ave.
    The chukery area, using a 64th ounce white twister tail on a fly rod, what a blast.

6. Baitkiller

Baitkiller Baitkiller

AndroDoug

Heres an easy way to get some real nice Smallmouths!

This time of year for about 5 weeks, go down to the Munroe Falls Dam with some Shiners. I use big Chubs or Common Shiners (5-7 inches). Hook them up front, use a bobber and a nice size hook. Go just below the dam on the north side when the water is LOW & CLEAR when the sun is high. The pool were the water swirles around is the spot (10 yds from the dam). Let them run a little and make sure they are runnin away from you when you set the hook. If your line gets cut put a steel leader on and try again.

PM me after you do this please. ;)

<><Baitkiller><>

7. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

There are no fish in the Cuyahoga River. I repeat, NO Fish...haha... :)
    Good post guys....

flash------------------------------out

8. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

Aw shucks BaitKiller!... The river is blown out. It may be WEEKS till I get to try that technique down there! :rolleyes: I bet below the dam is a great spot. I don't think I'd try that now, however! I'd be a statistic!

Why don't you PM me when the gettin is good down there! ;) But seriously, I AM gonna try to get some late season smallies when the river gets back down. I don't put enough time into river fishing, as I should. I go maybe 5-6 times a year, and every time I go, I say to myself, "I gotta do this more often!".

I just want to maximize my few trips that I make! :eek: :)

9. Baitkiller

Baitkiller Baitkiller

AndroDoug

This hole is only about 12 ft across (room for one person) and I now go down there fer bait when the water is a little high. I'd only fish the hole for 15 min. You will spend more time gettin bait than fishin the hole and they are either there or not.

I now fish for the 35+ inch Flatheads not the 20+ inch Smallies.

Good Hunting
    <><Baitkiller><>

10. Baitkiller

Baitkiller Baitkiller

AndroDoug

Heres the link for checking when it is GOOD there. If it is under 2.8 ft at Portage and it has not rained for 3 -4 days it should be good.

http://ahps.erh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ahps.cgi?cle&olpo1

Also you can get Suckers or Shiners for bait at the Tackle Shop over on Front Street in Cuyahoga Falls. You will only need 6 at a time. Hand pick some big Suckers use around a 3/0 hook. Than hook the Suckers through the mouth or nose so they don't have to fight the currant. Doug make sure your drag is working each time and set right. If your pole has been setting awhile sometimes they tend to lock up. Like I said before take along a few 9 inch steel leaders. By mid Oct there will be the 27 1/2+inch Pike there. For the Pike use treble hooks. When you set the hooks on Pike attempt to break your rod. I used to fish for the Pike too, all within 25 yds of this spot and have gotten 318 THERE so far. When I fish this area for Pike its mid Oct till Dec. I skip the spring time.

OPINION: This spot/area is as good as it gets in NE Ohio (non-Catfish) at the right time of the year ONLY!!! The exception in NE Ohio would be for the Steelhead and the 3 hours round trip drive. So your approx 8 min drive will pay off.

C&R

<><Baitkiller><>

11. Baitkiller,

I've caught a few pike this summer. I'm curious, though. If they really heat up around mid-Oct, where are they now? Steelhead are out in the lake and come into the river, but I always thought the pike were locked in the river. I've caught one at this spot, last September.

12. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

they are there, just not actively searching for food. like KSU says" they sit in those swirly things and wait for food." :D oh yeah, they sit in tose big laydowns too!

13. So in the late fall, you can catch them in the faster moving water, too?

14. Baitkiller

Baitkiller Baitkiller

Archman/Guys

Pike are a cold water fish. Later in the year when the water gets cold the females are fattening up before the spawn in early March. I do eat a few of them but let most go. When I fish for them 97% of them will be females loaded up with eggs. If you want one over 22 lb this would be the time of year in my opinion. They are all over in the Cuyahoga. They just don't like the heat and I have not been able to find a cold water spring (GOLD MINE) to fish for them in the summer. They are hogs in the late Fall! I've let them take the bait than lit up a smoke and finished it before setting the hook. I've had one break my line 2 times (bad line) than caught it within an hour with my other two steel leaders in its mouth. I've yet to break 40 inches there but when they are bitting good, only about one in 20 will be under 27 inches. If you get a bite ever hour and a half you are doing good! They say they don't bite at night.....Ha Ha! Just at sunrise to 9:30 AM than about 4:30 till 9 PM. I fish down there with a skimask, mittens and long johns late in the year. Getting the good big live baits is the trick to me.

Right now should be the Smallmouths in the pool below the dam and I C&R all of them.

WARNING!:After starting up on the Flatheads last Aug 2003, anything under 17 inches just looks like bait to me ;) !

Tomarrow afternoon I will be down there getting 7-8 inch Gills, Crappies and a few 13 inch Smallmouths fer bait, the water is starting to clear up and is just right fer gettin bait fer the Flats. Than its off to Mosquito Lake fer the night.

Someone here advised me where to go at Mosquito for the Flats thats why I'm sharing this area. I do have better spots for Flathead but my grandson lives in Warren. Trust me I'm not tellin all though. If you go to this place PLEASE pick up some trash even if not yours and take it up to the waste cans.

<><Baitkiller><> ( I got my nick name from live bait & this area)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  15. Wow, I might have to leave the steelhead a few times and try this. Do spinners work at all in those months like they do now? Thanks for all of the info, Baitkiller.

16. Just wanted to say thanks for all the info I will definitely have to check it out, though I hate driving in Akron (loathe is a better word). I have to admit though, on my last trip to the cuyahoga (82 bridge last weekend) I was unable to take everything home with me, though I usually try to clean up the area. However I dont think anyone will notice what I left as it was my 3 favorite mepps lures in about 3 feet of fast moving water lol. If you've got waders they are fair game, right under the bridge. Just please wait a few weeks for the water to go down haha. Happy fishin, I'm off to try for a big bass and some big catfish. (see my gallery of pics for the one my buddy caught last night, largemouth bass on a buzz-bait).