close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cuyahoga River Steelhead

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Portage Lakes, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Portage Lakes

Portage Lakes OGF Member

Cuyahoga River Clean Enough Now To Catch Trout

POSTED: 9:50 am EST January 30, 2005

CLEVELAND -- The Cuyahoga River, known for catching fire when an oil slick burned in 1969, is now clean enough for catching steelhead trout.

It's the first time since the fire that the Ohio Department of Natural Resources is promoting two places along the Cuyahoga as good spots for steelhead trout fishing.

The state Route 82 dam in Brecksville and the Gorge Park dam in Cuyahoga Falls were once among the most polluted areas on the river. Their newfound fishing endorsement is listed on ODNR's Web site.

"This is a historical event," said Don Killinger, research supervisor for the Cuyahoga County Health Board. "There has never been any recommendation by any agency to fish on the Cuyahoga River, especially in the Cuyahoga County area because of the conditions of the river in the past and all the pollution."

After years of cleanup efforts, an Ohio Environmental Protection Agency study found 62 species of fish in the Cuyahoga River when there were none nearly three decades earlier.

"This indicates we are cleaning up the river and things are getting better," said Steve Madewell, an Ohio EPA environmental scientist.

The steelhead trout is native to the West Coast. They were introduced in Ohio in the 1800s.

2. Any chance of the Hoga being stocked along with the others?

3. Dingo

Dingo

Doubtful. I have heard from a few folks that low disolved oxygen content in the lower end of the river cause issues during normal and low flow periods. You have to go pretty far upstream until you reach the first riffle. This might make runs inconsistent during falls/springs with lower flow.

I wouldn't mind seeing a stocking here, since the 'hoga provides miles of public access that won't be going private anytime soon. The national park restrictions (no minnows or spawn) in that portion of the park provides a somewhat different fishery, taylored more toward artificial baits.

The water condition above rte 82 is also an issue. Even though the state is pushing the steelhead fishery (which have been using this river since the mid-80s, if not before), another article may be published in a month warning about the contact with the river in the akron sewage effluent area. Sends an inconsistent message. Clean up the poop plant and CSOs -- then the state will be able to advertise a truly great seasonal trout fishery.

4. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

My Pike eat your Steelhead for lunch in the Hoga. hehehe...i love the Hoga, plenty of access spots and good fishing. OOOPS did i say good fishing....there are no fish in the hoga...

flash-----------------out

5. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I could have told the ODNR that. I caught a few nice steelies in the Cuyahoga this past fall stocking up on shad.

The very few people I told couldn't believe I caught them on Husky Jerks with fireline. They said their eyesite is too good and the fireline would spook them.:p Caught them 3 different times when shad hunting.
    This was the first time I ever caught a steelhead. MAN-OH-MAN!!!!
    I had one big one jump 5' out the water a couple of feet in front of me.
    I never looked at a fish eye-to-eye at face level when I was reeling it in.

The only fish I could say gave me the same type of rush was wipers on the Ohio River.

6. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I also saw a few steelhead jump the dam at Rt 82 this past fall one day.
    That was something to see.

7. creekcrawler

creekcrawler Konfused Kayaker

Y'all quit it now.
    Y'know there ain't no fishes in that river ;}

8. Baitkiller

Baitkiller Baitkiller

I too SEEN the Steelhead there.

KSU I have fished the Pike in the river for over 10 years. These Steelheads are safe. When they take out the 82 dam we will have MORE Steelhead at the at the Edsion Dam.

KSU if ya ever want to go for the Flats just let me know .

<>< Baitkiller ><>