close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cuyahoga River - Below Rockwell

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by PIKEMAN, Nov 3, 2008.

1. I floated from the bridge at Ravenna Road just below Lake Rockwell to Middlebury Road on Saturday. I have not put in at the Ravenna Road bridge before.... there are what appear to be new signs all over the place saying no trespassing, no parking, protected watershed. I saw no place close that one could park and carry down a canoe. Is there an option to put in a canoe and park for this area..... at least a better option that putting in at Standing Rock and paddling upstream?

Note: I had never floated the section of the Cuyahoga that runs through Kent. There is probably a mile of river that has some darn tough rapids for a fishing kayak! I ran them all except for two where common sense told me that I was along ways from my car and it too cold to take a swim in a swamped kayak. This section does not look like much for pike fishing, but I'll bet that there are some nice smallmouth to be had in there.

Fishing: Caught one 20" pike, missed 2 nice pike that went 30~32" each, all around the Fred Fuller Park area.

2. Sounds like you had a good float. There is great fishing along most of that part of the hoga.............

3. ploco

ploco

Pikeman - i believe i spoke with you in the Fred fuller area on Saturday afternoon. i was standing on a fallen tree fishing for pike as well.

right after you passed by i did hook into a good sized pike but lost him before i got him to shore. :(

i've been hittin the Hoga pretty hard for pike, are there any particular lures you been having luck with?

Good luck!

4. i know that you're asking pikeman, but i thought i would let you know that i have had good success with small-medium countdown rapalas (in the silver/black pattern).

i also heard from someone that when it warms a bit white buzzbaits are really good.

5. Ploco - if the guy you were talking to was in a green kayak and a bit wet, then that was probably me.

As for baits, I was working spoons, bucktails, jerkbaits, and a couple of large musky baits. The one pike that I caught was on a Rapala X-Rap #12. The two pike I missed were on a 7" musky jerk bait. No other lures showed me any action.

I fished on the Tusc. River on Sunday and caught 5 pike and missed several more, all on jerk baits. Last year right around this time I also put away the spoons and bucktails and switch over to jerk baits with good success.

The stretch of river from below the rapids in Kent to Middlebury Road is a really nice looking section of pike water. I'll definitely be back to try my luck again.

- Dave

6. castmaster00

castmaster00 very avid fisherman

does anyone know of what river runs through firestone park?

7. Castmaster,
    Do you live in Firestone Park? TThe only river close to Firestone Park is the Ohio Erie Canal near the Ball Fields on Wilbeth Road.

8. Cheesehead Cory

Cheesehead Cory Displaced Person

Last time I fished that section, I parked under the RR bridge off Ravenna Rd and put in there.

9. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Goodday, I think he means Firestone Metropolitan Park. That would be the Tuscarawas River.

10. castmaster00

castmaster00 very avid fisherman

what species are in the tusc? are there eyes?

11. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

No. There are saugeyes in the Tusc but they are down by Strausburg on south to the Muskingum.
    In Firestone Park, there are a lot of carp.