close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cuyahoga River 8/16

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by KSUFLASH, Aug 16, 2004.

1. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

I stopped by Falls Outdoor Sports tonight to drop off a reel that I needed to get fixed up, and I decided to run to the river for a bit. I only had 1 rod, and 1 spinner bait tied on. No tackle box or anything of that sort. I didn't even think to buy anything while I was at the tackle shop. I just was driving, and decided to checkout the river I guess. Spur of the moment type of thing. So basically, if I lost the lure, it was time to go home. I hit a nice little spot I found and began casting, and casting, and casting, and finally I got a hit. A nice hit!!!!! It was a nice 3 lb bass. She went about 18-20" She was a jumper too!!!! After I landed her, she was safley release to fight another day. I then kept casting again over and over, as the sun set and it began to get a bit darker, I got another hit, it was a pike, but i missed the sucker, I casted again, and missed, and again I casted and he hit. But of coarse I missed....I decided I wore out that spot so I moved to another. First cast at the new spot and WHACK!!!!! another large mouth....he was somewhere around a pound or a bit more. Safley release of coarse.....As I was walking around looking for some other good spots, I had a though of heading back to the truck...So I headed that way....then I see a spot that I just had to cast too....Now mind you the spinnerbait I was using, was looking pretty bent up and ragged at this point, but I just had to try...It took about 10 casts when I got a HUGE hit......the drag was screaming, and I already knew what it was before she even came to the surface....1 run, 2 runs, 3 good runs....and all of a sudden this PIKE decides it is a smallmouth and wants to put on a show. She jumps and gets me all excited. I knew she was big, but I wasn't quite sure if she would be the one that would break my personal best. Well finally I got her in removed the hook and quickly layed her against my rod so that I could break out the tape measure when I got home. It took a few minutes for me to revive her in the water, but eventually she showed signs of life and I safley release her to fight another day as well. I got home tonight and broke out the tape measure. I had put a little mark on my rod and she went 33" of which is 1" better than my best. Now thats what I call a good time.....

All in all it was a good night. I gotta go grease my reel now, she did a number on it.

I have to give leeabu a plug as well, due to the lure that is now out of commision, due to it is all bent out of shape was made by him. God I love Larry's sharp hooks and quality lures.

On a side note, those 2 largemouth bass are the first largemouths that I have gotten from the river believe it or not....i typically have fished for smallmouth and pike when I go to the river.

flash------------------------------------------out

2. Ben, Congrats on your record pike. My girlfriend got 17 inch largemouth last night near Brust Park. She also got her first pike. The largemouth hardly fought at all. I thought she had an average sized rock bass on when she was reeling it in.

3. Nice going Ben. How much $ do I have to pay to find out where you're catching the big pike in the Cuyahoga :) I've been searching for the bigger ones all summer but still haven't broken 24"...

Steve

4. I'll chip in a few bucks for some info, too. :)

5. steelhead1

steelhead1 Pikie Bay

Ben where is the last line? "Then I woke up" :D :p

Nice fish Ben! Congrats!

6. joe01

joe01 Functional Fisherman

nice fish flash

7. Dingo

Dingo

Upstream or downstream of Monroe Falls? I'm planning on dragging a canoe there for an evening after work the next week or two. Just looking for a decent starting point. Could trade a guided pike tour for a steelhead hunt -- interested???

8. Capt.Muskey

Capt.Muskey Ohio Fishing Militia

Ben,
    You've GOT to start carrying a camera!!! Nice fish :)

9. Do you drive a red chevy pickup?? I think I saw ya last nite in that old secret hole!!!

10. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

Good job Ben! I haven't caught a largemouth in there in a few years. I was starting to beleive the smallies and pike pretty much took over. Great to hear there are still some around. I can remember a 9 pounder coming out of there 5 or so years ago. The pic was posted in the old Tackleshack. My next cell phone is going to be one of the camera phones. It seems I never have the camera when I need it either.

11. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

Thanks to all you guys for posting about your piking adventures, because if it wasnt for you all, I wouldnt have caught my first pike ever today! :)

I was fishing down in the park (near 82) on the hoga. I tried casting spinners and crankbaits.

On one particular cast as the lure got near shore, suddenly I felt a wierd sort of tap and a flash of a fish! Suddenly the mud from the river bottom whooshed up into a cloud of dust and I got real excited.

Very next cast...after a couple cranks *BAM!* fish on! left, right! drag out! zzzzz.zzzzz...I thought it was a bass at first until I saw that mouth! Then I knew it! Finally, a pike! What a beautiful, amazing creature!

It was only 20" but this was a day Ill never forget.

Unfortunatly the experience was tempered severely because the fish inhaled the lure like Ive NEVER seen before and i couldnt get the hooks out without hurting the fish. I felt really lousy about that. :(

12. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

Harwater, congrats on the pike. I hope that some of my info over the past year has helped you out in some way. Don't feel bad about the deep hooking of that pike. I have released plenty of pike over the past 2 years to ensure that the pike population in the river lives on. I am so happy that you finally got one. They are neat animals. And as I have said so many times, the pike bites I have been getting have come from very close to shore, and most of the time they miss the bait the first time, and even the third time....

once again congrats!!!!!

flash---------------------------------out

13. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)