close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cuyahoga pike report

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Alter, Jul 19, 2004.

1. I finally got a chance to do some fishing again. Took me a while to knock off the rust and I ended up catching more trees than I care to admit :eek: . When the trees weren't biting, I did manage to hook a couple of little hammerhandles and a fat but short LM bass before the rain ran me off. I missed a couple of other fish (likely pike) that swiped at my topwater bait but failed to hook-up (those pike in the Hoga have poor eye-mouth coordination, they miss the bait more often than not). Not a great day on the water but it was nice to get out for a while.

Steve

2. Hey Steve what section were you fishing?
    My buddy did fairly well near Ladue Sunday... Had 4 on and lost 2...

3. The Pike will try to stunn its prey on the first contact and then come back to eat it. Keep a follow up bait ready to cast back at the Pike. I keep a tube or a floating shallow crankbait rigged and ready to follow up. I probably catch the 70% of the Pike that don't hook up on the first strike.

4. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

So true, so true. If I am fishing for pike, I keep a senko or zara spook on another pole to throw in after the stun splash. They miss it on purpose, They will wheel around and hit your next bait thinking it was "stunned".

5. ATRKYHNTR, I was fishing in Kent, upstream of Tannery Park and not far from the one-lane bridge to the ball fields. Last year there were some nice patches of weeds in the slower current areas around there that held fish but they haven't sprung up yet this year. There were a few other pike fishermen out there and the one I got a chance to speak with reported catching a few hammerhandles as well. I've fished the river up around Ladue some but haven't found the good spots around there yet.

leeabu and Doug, thanks for the good advice. If I'm fishing a faster bait I keep a floating rapala handy for the pike that swipe and miss. This time, I was actually using the floating rapala fished on top very slowly, just twitching the bait to get them to strike (a low pressure front was moving in and the active fish were in shallow slow-current cover). I could get the fish to strike the bait multiple times, some just weren't able to hook-up. I think in this case the fish are just too small for the bait I was using. Switching to a smaller rapala may have let me hook them but I've caught enough of the little fellas and I'm looking for their elders now :)

Steve

6. How big of pike can you get out of the river?

7. Here is a lean but long West Branch Pike caught on a spinner bait this year.[​IMG]

8. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

In the river, there aren't that many "real big pike".there are quite a few in the 20-28in range, but you never hear of the giants being caught. The exception would be the pike caught a few years back my an asian family.it was weighed i think, but tissue samples were never taken before they ate it. I beleive it would have been a new state record. The only problem was that there was a slight chance it might have been a muskie. i beleive the fish was somwhat over 20 lbs. I keep waiting for the cuyahoga pike Zen master to chime in. Where you at Ben? whats your biggest?

9. Capt.Muskey

Capt.Muskey Ohio Fishing Militia

Ben is getting ready for the up comming football season I think.

10. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

I caught a 34" at Water Works Park. It must have been 8 years ago. All the others I have ever caught in there were right around 20" to 28" I didn't have a scale at the time so I have no idea what it weighed. I was in a plastic boat and it took me for a ride.

11. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

My personal best is 32" long, and it came on live bait. Last year I caught and safley released 34 pike. Most of which were in the range of 20"-28"

As far as pike stunning their prey, I totally agree. I don't know how many times I had pike strikes only to catch them on the 3rd or 4th try of getting them hooked up.

This time of year when it is nice and hot, the pike are in the pools that are swirling around, or even better yet, those sections where the water has undercut the the banks, of which leaves a little pocket for the pike to tuck under the bank. I have caught most of my pike from 20ft and closer to shore.

flash-------the Zen Pike hunter-----------------------out

edit: :D

12. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

Geez, how big do you think the river is? 60ft wide?haha :D