Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
How is the fishing upstream of Water Works Park since removal of the dams in Monroe Falls & Kent? I tried fishing the river around the Front Street (Rt8 to Overbrook) area this past weekend and was disappointed in the quality of the river. I thought it was improving. I also thought that it was much deeper than it actually is - not sure if sedimentation from the removal of the dams upstream has anything to do with this.

·
Registered
337 Posts
This should help, Public access to all Ohio rivers and streams if you are putting in a boat, not sure if that is what you are looking for. It's not completely updated, since it still has all the dams on the Cuyahoga that they took out.

http://ohiodnr.com/watercraft/areas/tabid/2306/Default.aspx
thanks a lot for that link. it will work great b/c i live near columbus and come back home to canton and fish the rivers a lot. that site gives me some new options for both places. also i've been wanting some new rivers to fish in and that will work perfectly.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
When I walked around water works park last year, the river was full of sediment from the monroe falls spillway. There were no deep pools like there were before. Didn't have my fishing pole with me, so I couldn't do a thorough inspection. Have caught pike, smallies, and crappie upstream from water works. Caught an 8" pike on a 4" lure once at water works. Poor thing got caught up in the treble hooks and likely ended up being fish food.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've had luck with Gills at Riverfront. I've walked all the way down to Rt8 and then slowly started making my way back up to the parking lot trying different spot I could squeeze into under overhanging trees.

·
"FISH,HUNT,LIVE"
173 Posts
has anyone ever been brave enough to down behind the sheraton, or maybe its the hilton?....i climed down there once last fall and fished but it was pretty cold so i dont think anything was biting, at least i didnt catch anything that is. The water down there seems like it would be perfect for smallies, its just actually having the guts to get down there thats the hard part. but then again its not like this was the first time i put myself in a bed situation just to catch fish lol. When i was down there nobody yelled at me or anything, which to me might as well mean that i can fish there, plus once you get down there i doubt anyone can see you. I think im gonna try it again sometime, i know my way to get down there now. If anyones not afraid of a little climbing then shoot me a pm and we can both hit it up sometime.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I believe the city of cuy. falls is building a park just south of the Sheraton with walkways in the gorge to connect to the Gorge Metro park trail. Never had the guts to try down there. (I like my guts to stay inside my body!) Fished in the Edison pool once. Caught a 5lb channel cat in the pool all the way upstream where it turns into a river again. Fished the section from the Sheraton, upstream to the next spillway. Caught a couple of stunted smallies. The Tackleshack bait shop used to have a picture of a 20lb muskie that was caught just above the spillway at Lafever's restaurant. I tried with shiners over there and got no bites.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Its hit and miss. Fished the riverfront right under portage trail on Thursday and caught 10+ smallies and two Pike in a matter of an hour. All decent size. But not even 5 minutes after the last fish was caught at about 2pm it completely shut down. Tried again Saturday and only caught 2 small smallmouth. The river was considerably higher and faster moving Saturday though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts