cut or disease?

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by CCRiley2, Jun 1, 2008.

1. CCRiley2

CCRiley2 Bass-turd

This looks like a cut from a possible snag or something, but curious if there is some fish isease that it could be. Should I have euthanized? (spelling?)
    I didn't snagg this fish, caught on first cast in a hole with a tube.
    [​IMG]

2. dip him in that Bud and put him back

3. It looks like maybe a bird tried to get it.

4. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Whatever it is, it looks bad but the fish looks nice and healthy. Nice catch!

5. Some of the fish I catch in Canada have wounds like that - the pike love to make a slashing first attack. Anyway, they seem to survive a flesh wound like that just fine so releasing it was a good call. Nice fish guy.

6. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Looks like a heron peck. What a football!

7. mkd

mkd

got drunk and fell

8. Wiper Swiper

Wiper Swiper Banned

I got a buzz and fell just looking at the picture! ;)

In clean water, it may have made it, but that wound's deep. In our water, secondary infection will probably kill it.

I'm guessing an Osprey talon. Or, a heron in serious need of glasses!

9. LMRsmallmouth

LMRsmallmouth LMR Master Angler

Chad...might be pig-itis...nice smallie!

10. CCRiley2

CCRiley2 Bass-turd

Blue Heron! Don't know why I never thought of that. I was thinking gar or toothy fish attack, but that didn't add up to the size of the fish.
    It was near an area where there are alot of heron nests. judging by the depth of the wound. I bet that heron had him out of the water before he flopped himself loose. would love to have that on film:)

11. Sounds like a bad day for that fish. First he was flown through the air by a bird and then he was caught trying to eat a piece of plastic. Then he was put down with an empty Bud in front of him and YOU weren't sharing.