close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Custom Muskie Rod (pic heavy)...

Discussion in 'Muskie & Pike Discussions' started by stream_stalker, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Hey fellas,
    I figured with not much fishing going on lately I'd toss up a few pictures of a custom stick a good friend built for me. The rod was built by Brian Morrow and is pretty flashy, but not so much so that you don't want to fish with it. The blank the rod is built on is an SC2 St.Croix casting blank 7ft Medium Heavy 20-40lb line rating. The first day I fished it, litterally, first cast the rod was in hand, I was telling Brian how smooth and comfortable it felt and WHAMMM, you guessed it muskie on. It was pretty cool, the rod has instant muskie karma although it was only a 33 inch fish how can you complain with a fish on the first cast. PM me if you are interested in Brian's Contact information, he can do about anything rod building wise you can imagine.Anyway, here are some photos....

Two toned cork, brown burled and burnt cork rings...
    [​IMG]

Theres 4 inches of snake skin just above the forgrip...
    [​IMG]

Skull and X-bone decall, so when you look at this rod you know what it's about (the baddest fish in the land)...
    [​IMG]

Of course the name tag...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Four color guide wraps...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SIC tip top to prevent groving from braid...
    [​IMG]

Large sized hook keeper for storing those huge lures from spot to spot...
    [​IMG]

And my favorite flare to the entire rod, a shark tooth set into rod finish in the butt of the rod (had to have something dealing with teeth on the rod)...

[​IMG]

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

3. He does nice work. Lot of nice appointments on that.

4. MuskieJim

MuskieJim Trophy Tamer

Playerific Nick. I told you the first time I saw that rod in person that I was going to punk it out. I could scratch the Nick Blackie name off in about 3 seconds. Haha. For anyone looking for a sweet custom stick, this guy knows his stuff. Even these pics don't do this rod justice. It is SICK.

5. I'd like to see you scratch it, the hard coat rod finish is actually more durable than the blank itself!!! I abuse my gear, you know that, and the only hint of marks is from hooks on the hook keeper. We'll get you a fish on that rod this summer jim. It's even nicer in hand with a 'lunge on the line...

6. Jim,
    I put 8 coats of finish over the top of that snakeskin so that it laid flat, and cover the scales. The name decal is under 6 of those coats, so good luck scratchin it off ;)

Thanks for the great comments :eek:

7. ShutUpNFish

ShutUpNFish FishBum

I wouldn't mind a custom rod....for trolling though...I'd like a similar blank to the All Star Western Inshore series. Its a 9 footer, great rod....heavy....They quit making it ever since the Chinese took over All Star and went exclusively Bass crap! Even a foot longer would be nice to get those baits out away from the boat more. Any suggestions? Send me a PM if you're interested.

8. Rainshadow might have a blank that fits that bill, I know they have some blanks geared toward ocean king salmon and stuff like that, I'm sure something would work as a cross over stick for trolling...

9. ShutUpNFish

ShutUpNFish FishBum

Whatever it takes....I want as little bend in the rod as possible up until the last few feet to the tip so I can see the action of the lure. That ALL Star makes a great dipsy rod too!

Nick...I see you're bored tonight too!

10. Very......

11. ShutUpNFish

ShutUpNFish FishBum

At least I have the Steelers to look forward to tomorrow!:p

12. Rainshadow, St. Croix, Seeker, and a few others come to mind.
    I think what you're looking for is something in the Surf rod range. I'm not sure what line class you're looking to cover. They go from 8' 6" to 13' and cover line ratings from 10 to 60.

Tight lines,

13. ShutUpNFish

ShutUpNFish FishBum

Well, it needs to be on the stiffer side so the rod doesn't bend way over while trolling 8" to 12" baits going over 5 mph. So can you hook me up?

14. Shutup-
    I miss those all stars too! I was lucky enough to pick one up(T30X 6'3" Jerkbait) when Lee Tauchen and Doug Smith were working at Rollie & Helen's in 1999. I was fishing the tournament and that was the only brand Lee had on his boat. Little did I know they were going over seas not too long after that purchase. I have caught more muskies on that rod than all my other casting rods combined! -Probably just 'cause its my favorite to use. -Gabe

15. I'm sure I can hook ya up, I just don't know with what yet. I won't build ya just anything, so I'd like the chance to make a few phone calls and talk to a couple companies. I will make a few phone calls Monday (if they are open) or Tuesday. I'll have a definite answer asap.

Tight lines,

16. MuskieJim

MuskieJim Trophy Tamer

I know I couldn't scratch the name off. I was just wanting to. :p

This weather is unbearable. I couldn't even go deer spotting last night :(

17. Snakeskin, skull, shark's tooth? Now that's the way to lay out a rod with a theme. I like the detail that I saw and wondered how you got that pattern put down like that.

Very cool stuff.

18. I assume you're referring to the thread pattern?
    I wrapped the bare blank with Pewter metallic, as a base wrap. I used Steelblue metallic for trimbands at the end of the under-wrap.
    I placed the guide on top of the under-wrap, and wrapped in on normally, with black thread, and used silver metallic for those trim bands.
    It was VERY time consuming. It was also the first casting rod I had ever built; which took me a while to figure out.

The snakeskin comes in a sheet about 3-1/2" wide, and in lengths up to 24". I justtrimmed it up to fit where I needed it, and went to town. Placing the skin is a bit of a pain (especially if you follow the direction supplied with it). Applying finish over the skin was fun too.. lol
    At first I figured 2-3 coats to cover it; boy was I wrong! I had to lay down 8 coats of Threadmaster Lite to cover the skin enough so that you couldn't feel scales poking through. It was by far the most difficult part of the built, and took the most time, but it was well worth it IMHO.

I hope that answered your question, if not let me know and I'll give it another go :)

Tight Lines,

19. That would look BAD in a Down East with a big Penn clamped on it screeming mercy!!!!!:B