Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit lake Cumberland for a three day trip during my Son's spring break. Purpose of the trip was twofold: 1) to test out my new boat and 2)get my Son and his tournament partner some experience on this lake for an upcoming tournament. We stayed near Jamestown Marina and explored the many coves and creeks in the vicinity of Jamestown.

3/27 started out very cold with bluebird skies. Post front conditions so wasn't sure what to expect. Went a few hours without hardly even a bite so was starting to wonder if it was going to be one of those type trips. We finally starting getting some bites in a smaller cove off of main lake. Midday decided to head up a larger creek arm that looked to have more largemouth habitat and we checked out a large cove of this creek arm with lots of cover. We started getting into some decent largemouth and spots. Finished that day out in a creek right near Jamestown and found a decent little smallmouth spot. That day air temps started in low 30's and ended in upper 50's with no clouds. Water temps varied from low 50's to mid 50's.

3/28 headed out to another small cove off of main lake and deployed the new Ultrex trolling motor and powered it up. Prop would turn but no steering whatsoever. Made a few phone calls and found out nearest Minn Kota tech was located a 1.5-2 hr drive away.... Ugh! We motored back to the marina and when we arrived there was one other bass boat that was tied off with two guys working on their electronics. I noticed they had an Ultrex on their boat so we started talking with them. Turns out one of the guys was a certified Minn Kota Technician. He agreed to check out my motor and within 5 minutes or so he had it going again and showed me what to do if the problem occurred again. That guy may well have saved our trip! Thank you Guy in green boat with Denali Rods sticker on the side! We headed back out and decided to hit the back of a creek. Got into a few spots and smaller largemouths and decided to go hunting for some smallmouths. Went back to a small cove off main lake and noticed a good bit of bird/bait and other life and decided to give that area a go. Each of the boys got into nice smallies in that cove. The largest weighed in at just under 5#'s. Air temps high 40's to upper 60's and mostly sunny and water temps up around 55.

3/29 headed back out to another different small cove just off main lake and immediately started picking off some smallies and spots on points. That day we lost two smallies that jumped right near the boat that would have gone 4#+. Ended that day back towards the back of a larger creek near Jamestown and boated several decent largemouths and spots. Air temps low 50's to low 70's with mostly cloudy skies. Water temps 52-54.

Bottom line it was a great trip for our first time on the lake. We caught plenty of fish but it definitely wasn't easy. We spent 10-12 hours out on the water each day exploring around. The lake is pretty neat because its so big you can generally find clearer water or stained water depending on what you wanna fish. In most coves you can fish for smallies/spots on the points and then trolling motor right on back to backs of pockets and target largemouths in the abundant cover in the same coves. After the spring season is over I'd imagine the bass fishing gets a lot tougher down there. It was strange, but I hardly even used my electronics other then just for depth, bottom hardness and water temps. We pretty much just picked locations to fish by visually checking out the shoreline composition and cover and just started fishing.

Boys got some confidence for their upcoming tourney and I got more familiar with the new boat so was a win/win there. Headed back down on 4/12 & 4/13 for the tourney so hopefully the boys can find some big girls that day and get em into the boat :). Tight lines all.

IMG_0594.jpg
IMG_0598.jpg
IMG_0617.jpg
IMG_0634.jpg
IMG_0596.jpg
IMG_0611.jpg
IMG_0620.jpg
IMG_0635.jpg
IMG_0637.jpg
View attachment 299729

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Nice report. I'm headed there 4/15-4/19 and I'll be fishing fairly close to that area.
I'd heard the water was pretty muddy in some areas but that water color looks pretty good to me. We were there for our 1st trip in April 2015 and we had a great time so this will only be our 2nd time there. We mainly crappie fish but I think we may try for bass for at least some of the time. Fishing with the kids is always fun, enjoy them while they're young.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Nice report. I'm headed there 4/15-4/19 and I'll be fishing fairly close to that area.
I'd heard the water was pretty muddy in some areas but that water color looks pretty good to me. We were there for our 1st trip in April 2015 and we had a great time so this will only be our 2nd time there. We mainly crappie fish but I think we may try for bass for at least some of the time. Fishing with the kids is always fun, enjoy them while they're young.
I will be down at Cumberland the 12th-14th. First time fishing the lake. Friend of mine has a place he just got in the Echo Point. We will be strictly crappie fish. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Preferably use jigs but will go with minows if mave to. Hope I can leave a good report next Monday.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
I will be down at Cumberland the 12th-14th. First time fishing the lake. Friend of mine has a place he just got in the Echo Point. We will be strictly crappie fish. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Preferably use jigs but will go with minows if mave to. Hope I can leave a good report next Monday.
Here's a link to an old thread I posted a few years ago...maybe it'll help some. (our 1st trip)
http://www.crappie.com/crappie/ohio/332186-cumberland-lake/

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We didn’t come across any water that was too stained to fish in my opinion. We actually seemed to do a bit better where the water was more stained. Not sure if that was because that water was a bit warmer at surface or what. Definitely a fun lake to fish. Was little traffic on lake and was cool to hear the turkeys gobbling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure where you will be launching from but would suggest avoiding burnside state park ramp on 4/13. There is a HS bass open tourney that day. On the 30th Ky State Championship tourney was there and they had 238 boats. Would imagine will be similar # on 4/13. Nice thing about that lake is that it’s so big there is plenty of room to spread out. Good luck.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Forgot there is College tourney on 4/12 out of burnside also. Would be a good ramp to avoid those couple of days.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Great job guys! Good luck in your tournament! Looks like a very nice boat Kevin!

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
IMG_2882.JPG
IMG_2881.JPG
View attachment 302311

We had a nice trip to Cumberland but for us the crappie fishing was a lot tougher than it was on our last trip back in 2016. Even though we didn't catch many, the ones we did catch were pretty nice. Since we've only visited the lake twice in recent years we don't know what the normal water level is but the lake was up at least 10' from our previous trip. All our spots we'd found in 2016 were gone. I guess some of the locals who fish there often we getting crappies because we "heard" of one guy who had 37 from one of the park employees.
With the crappie being hard for us to locate we did notice the bass were more than willing to play. The smallmouth in particular were pretty active so we switched tactics and started casting small swimbaits (Lake Fork & Big Joshy's) and caught plenty of bass to make us happy. Most of the bass ran been 8" to 17" but we both hooked and lost a few brutes. I lost one monster that we both thought looked between 5#-6# I still am having nightmares over.
All in it was a good trip and on the drive home we were talking about making a trip back down there next year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts