Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the Crib area with CJ Stone today. Got a late start (11am). We caught 16 walleye and boxed 12. Also one steelhead, five nice sized white bass plus a "Bonus Sheephead" :rolleyes:. Size "0" Dipsy set at 3 and 140 back and 2 at 90. Kevorkian Stinger and Ole Pete's Monkey Puke were the two we took all the fish on.

·
Administrator
9,450 Posts
The master at work! Good report.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Fished nw of crib Monday starting around 4:30 pm. We ended with 9 eyes and went one for three on steelhead. 0 dipsys ,3 setting at 140-160 back....spoon with orange did best for eyes.

Steelies hit inside rods, 0 dipsy set on 1, 125-140 back, spoons with purple and blue got their attention.

Best of luck and be safe out there.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
nice talking to you, we started real early ,7am. best spoon was blueberry muffin, I think things are slowing down around the crib, might have to move east ,or troll deeper water.

·
761 Posts
Nice job!

We got a steelhead about 1-1/2 miles north of the crib on Sunday - sounds like they are in the area.

·
Registered
66 Posts
A big thanks to bobinstow90, went out with him today for my first trip for erie eye's. Amazing trip, gotta love the power of those steelhead!! Looking forward to many more days out there chasing these beauties!

·
Registered
367 Posts
I was out of Wildwood and heard you on the radio, Shortdrift. Thought about giving a shout but you where right on the edge of reception, and so far that i didn't really have any helpful info for you. Thought i heard you say that you were after steelheads? We got our walleyes and had a couple steelies mixed in.

Good luck- Pik-n-fin

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,459 Posts
I went out for a shorty trip last night, got our lines in the water in 55 FOW behind the crib a couple miles, fished from 7:45 till 9:20 or so and boated 15 walleye in short order, Cranks 80-125 back, Reef Runner Rainbow prism, purple prism, perch renosky, purple sunkist glass husky all took a few fish, dispey on a 3 1/2 setting 100 back took NOTHING on the spoon, I had a 1 1/2 setting on the other side of the boat, I had a double copper willow harness on with orange beads, I saw a wicked hit and nothing, gosh dang steelie took my bait he hit it so hard, I saw the fish jumping behind the boat like 3 times with my big harness hanging out of his mouth, looked to be about a 28 incher, it was cool seeing him jump with the bait but that was our good harness in the tourney and now it's gone :mad:

We cruised into 38 FOW off Goldcoast just before it got dark to set up for a night bite, we fished deep and shallow cranks for 1 1/2 and didn't even get a pullback, the night bite must be OVER or at least it was for us. we tried all the way into 10 FOW the marks out deep where unreal but nothing wanted to go.

Nice short trip with firedrill for the time we were out deep.

·
Duck Enemy #1
220 Posts
You guys are killing me. I couldnt get the boat out last night since the roofers showed up and blocked it in the garage with a dumpster. hope the lake forecast is wrong for later in the week. My Boss wants me to take him out as he has never fished Erie and is only in town a few days. Though with the way the fishing has been for me It might be best if we cant make it out :) I have a feeling now theat the fishing is starting to require some skill I might not be able to put on as good of a show.....

·
The Inferior Fisherman
2,644 Posts
I think the nailing them a mile away from the ramp days are over!:( Your going to have to use a bit more gas now, and search, listen and work for your catch. Ok with me.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
"We cruised into 38 FOW off Goldcoast just before it got dark to set up for a night bite, we fished deep and shallow cranks for 1 1/2 and didn't even get a pullback, the night bite must be OVER or at least it was for us. we tried all the way into 10 FOW the marks out deep where unreal but nothing wanted to go."

We did well from 8-11:30 in 14-21 fow in front of the gold coast. Fish turned off with the moon setting, but we did well there.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,459 Posts
Huh no kidding, yeah I couldn't buy a bite off Goldcoast last night we only fished it for a little bit, started with a deep cranks then went shallow, nothing but weeds on our baits.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I think we were out Sunday night, caught a lot of weeds on the boards at one pass, then they disappeared. Marks were all over the place, but everything we caught was 5-8 feet down. We ran cranks 5 and 6 down on the outside and 6 and 8 feet down on the inside. I hope they stick around at lese until my vacations over.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Nice Job Bobby!!

its the steath mode in shallow... electric power!!!!!

i found over the years there are always walleye in shallow @ nite... somethimes just long lining and hold a rod in your hand helpd detect light bites!!! instead of a board.. plu a bonus small mouth here and there are easier to fight with out dealing with an in-line board
.. Just my 3 cents..

Frank

·
Registered
9,381 Posts
Thanks for the invite Shortdrift. I thoroughtly enjoyed watching the Master at his Craft! It was 25 or so years ago we last fished together and that's just too damned much time between trips! Thanks, again, for the refresher, old pal!

·
Registered
22 Posts
We got our lines wet at 3:20 and 30 min later we had our first 7. Our first line was on fire but after the first run a freighter ran right down our waypoints:( . After that it cooled down a bit but not off. At 8:00 we pulled the rods with 17 in the box, also lost the biggest steelhead I ever had on:mad: (looked more like a salmon by the size:B ). We started NE of the crib 47fow and ran a line north to 53fow, fish came from all depths but the 30 jet 100ft back did best. Hot spoons were copper confusion and monkeypuke;) .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts