close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Creepier Fishing

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ichabod, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Ichabod

Ichabod Ghost

I've been hunting the turkey ridge area in the national forest for many, many years and like to wander from my regular areas now and then. I spotted a nice old fire pond while squirrel hunting and thought I'd give it a try for some panfish. I finished cleaning my squirrels around 6:00 so I packed up my gear, put everything in my truck, and got my lantern out. The moon was rising early so it looked like a good night for fishing. The old logging road was my only landmark and in places, it was choked down to only be wide enough for a deer, but most of it was covered in a carpet of moss.

I got to the pond at last light when I fired up my lantern. The crappie were eager to hit my jig with a twister tail along with a few nice gills. The moon was perfectly lighting the pond and the steam off the water began to turn into fog. There was no noise, only the sound was that of a lone Whip-or-will and an occasional splash of a fish hitting a bug on top of the water.

After putting 8 slabs in my basket, I noticed my lantern getting dim. I wasn't to concerned because the moonlight was enough to see my way out, but the fog kept getting thicker and thicker. I packed up my gear and double-checked to see if I had everything, I stood up with a ready to go and it was then that I noticed....the silence. It was a completely silent, no wind, no fish hitting bugs and no Whip-or-will, the only sound was that of what sounded like a rooster flapping his wings as he stretches at first light, but it was distant. The sound was constant and seemed to be getting closer. By now, the fuel in my lantern had all been used and the flame was out, but the sound kept getting closer.

Looking in the direction of the sound, I stood motionless. Closer and closer, the sound grew louder and louder when I was able to finally figure out what it was, I realized it was a horse in full gallop. Who would be riding a horse at full gallop in the middle of the woods, in the middle of the night, in the middle of nowhere? A chill went up my spine and I crouched down next to a deadfall tangled in fox grape vines. I set down my gear and felt comforted by the fog covering me from view in the moonlight. The horse kept charging onward and I thought it would keep going, but just as it got to the deer trail I used to get to the pond, it stopped dead in it's tracks. Now I'm shaking, no sound at all, no galloping horse, fish hitting the water, only my heart beating like I had a 16 point buck in my sights. I didn't move a muscle and then I heard it, the horse was coming down the deer trail. I crouched down into the tangle of vines as far as I could, but only a couple feet off the trail. The horse got closer and closer when I began to smell something. It was a foul smell, the smell of which I've only experianced a couple times in my life. It was the smell of a summertime road kill deer a few days after it was hit…the smell of death.

The horse walked past me and right to the spot where I was fishing. In the moonlight I saw someone on the horse. He wore a long hooded cape and he was tall. He dismounted the horse and led it to the pond. My heart was beating right out of my chest, but I didn't dare move a muscle. While the horse dank, the tall caped man stopped dead, and for a minute didn't move at all, he acted like he heard something, but he never looked toward me, just looked out over the pond while his horse drank.

After what seemed like hours, he turned the horse around and mounted it. The horse walked toward me and just as the horse got to where I was crouched, the man let out a low "Huh" and kept going up the trail. The horse walked up the trail and got back on the logging road where it resumed it's pace down the road.

I don't know what I saw that night, but I really don't think I want to. I have no plans to go back to that pond ever again, but if you're ever in the Wayne National Forest and see an old fire pond off a logging road, I'd do my fishing BEFORE dark.

2. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

Who's this guy fooling????

3. 'Tis the season;)

Perhaps someone is just looking for a little privacy at his catfishing spot.:D I hope he did not scare anyone away.:eek:

4. I always thought it was a good idea not to get high before venturing out on a night fishing trip.

5. Well yeah, that and also don't forget to fill your lantern with fuel before starting out.:D

6. Hey, it was a good story for the season! haha. Very creative and thought out...

7. it is harvest season

any guess's on his cash crop?

:D

8. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

...where I saw a young family of sasquatch go by me right at twilight. They move so quietly that I never heard them come up behind me........until they were forty feet from me on my left as I spotted them with my peripheral vision.
    I was frozen still for what seemed like hours but when they had quietly moved on, I dared to turn my head to look for my girlfriend but she was nowhere to be seen. She had already gotten back onto our magic carpet and was motioning frantically for me to quickly join her.......that was the last magic carpet ride she ever went on with me.

9. First off welcome to OGF.Good story took some thought uh? ;)

10. Nothing to lose you head over though.
    I'm sure Washington Irving would be proud.

11. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

A American literary classic in the making! great story and it definately fits the season well. Happy Halloween!

12. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

Is what seals the story. :D

13. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Hey Ruminator,

Does your wife know you're riding around on a magic carpet with your girlfriend???:D

14. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

:D Did I forget to mention that my girlfriend is now my wife? :D Even so, she's still my "Lynda Babe", been so since we started dating at 16. Am I getting old or what?! Thats now 32 years we've been together, mercy! ;) Wouldn't even think of "trading up", .... "they don't make them like they used to"....and besides..."she's still got a lot of good miles left on her". Are these sexist phrases or what?! To tell the truth...........somewhere in all these years I believe that we have become "soulmates"........however that happens.
    I would love to spend eternity with her..... "no giving or taking in marriage in heaven", what about those already married and want to remain so?
    I ruminate about that sometimes.................along with all my other ruminations........ :D

- Hey Mike, check your pms. (dated 10-1-04)

15. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

I thought it was a Ring Wraith looking for the the Hobbitts.

16. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Frodo, Sam, & Gollum. You know Gollum is one heck of a fisherman.

What gave it away as to being fake, was the Slab Crappie part. If those ponds had Slab Crappie, all the OGF'ers would already be there! You cant keep a Slab hole hidden in Ohio!!!!