Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CREEL CLERKS TO BE INTERVIEWING ANGLERS IN NORTHEAST OHIO

Division of Wildlife is working to expand public fishing opportunities for anglers

AKRON, OH – Angler surveys will once again resume on Ohio’s inland lakes for the summer. “Creel clerks” will be surveying anglers at 10 lakes in northeast Ohio and 34 lakes around Ohio on weekends from April 28 through July 29, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) Division of Wildlife. The word “creel” originates from an old style woven basket used to hold fish.

“The surveys are an important tool in the management of Ohio’s lakes because they provide valuable data on how many fish are caught, how many fish are actually harvested, the amount of fishing pressure on a lake, the health of our sport fisheries and also the attitudes and opinions of anglers,” explained Matt Ward, fisheries biologist with the Division of Wildlife in Akron. Questions concerning what the anglers have caught help the biologists determine if stocking rates are adequate and if length limits need to be placed on specific lakes. Other questions on the survey can help determine the economic benefit a fishery has on the local economy, and determine angler’s opinions of regulations on certain species. Division of Wildlife personnel also use this information to compile accurate weekly fishing reports that are distributed for the public’s use.

The survey takes approximately five minutes to complete and anyone approached by a creel clerk is asked for his/her patience and cooperation. The lakes that will be surveyed this year in the Division of Wildlife’s northeast Ohio district are Berlin Lake, Springfield Lake, Pymatuning Lake, LaDue Lake, East Branch Lake, Punderson Lake, Tappan Lake, Clendening Lake, Guilford Lake, and Zepernick Lake.

·
Ohio Angler
714 Posts
Thanks, Carl.

I participated in a survey last year at Walborn near Alliance...not only provided the rep my information but I got a lot of information from him in return. Great guy and an excellent way for us to make our thoughts and opinions known by those who make the rules and invest in our fisheries.

Bob

·
Defensor Fortis
4,386 Posts
I did two internships with the DOW in 91/92. One at Mosquito Waterfowl Refuge and the other was doing creel surveys at Pymatuning. Best summer jobs I ever had. Learned a lot of hot spots at Pymatuning that year.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks for the plug! My name's Mike, and I'm the creel clerk for Pymatuning and Ladue Lakes this summer. I was the creel clerk for Leesville and Tappan last summer, so I probably interviewed or talked to many of you while you were fishing. If you see me boating around the lakes on the weekends doing interviews, just wave hello or, even better, please take just a few minutes to do an interview. The data you provide is VERY useful and is much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
i had a bad experience with one of these last year. we had a tournament at new london reservoir. if anybody has ever been there they know its gin clear and spooks fish easy. well anyway this yahoo doing the survey just kept doing big circles around the lake with his outboard wide open. then he comes screaming up to me in a shallow clear cove. needless to say i didnt get a bite there after that. then as we were ramping out this really bright fella stops me half way up the ramp to see and measure my fish while theres a line of people waitng to get there boats out. do they not have any common sense? i think its obvious he wasnt a fisherman.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts