Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to creek fishing, but I am working a couple hundred yards from a creek that in the summer continues to run. I assume it is waist deep durring the summer, but I really don't know.

Can someone please give me a basic primer on creek fishing?

What works?
What doesn't?

As far as what I want to catch, I am really just looking for some action. I am not a great fisherman. When I fish it is usually from a canoe, on a lake. I either explore the lake dragging a couple lines behind me, or sit with a bobber. If I am lucky and work all day at it, I usually catch dinner.

Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just started Creek fishing last year at little beaver. I've found that 3.5" tubes do the trick for the bass and eyes. I'm sure there are other people with more experience that will chime in with more useful info, but that's what works for me.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Generally speaking, active fish will position themselves near the heads of pools or into the riffles looking for food. Fish, even active ones, will try to use as little energy as possible, so will position themselves behind or next to structure that reduces the current. Try to approach from downstream casting upstream, so you dont spook the fish with mud, etc. Light lines and light tackle are a plus, allowing you to throw smaller lures/baits. As for the lure or bait, you'll get a hundred different opinions on this. Use something small that mimics food, either crawdads or minnows. Use something that you have confidence in, that you know how to fish. I use spinners.

·
deleted
3,891 Posts
Given my screen name, I usually like to weigh in on these questions, but Fishmeister said just about all of it in a few words. I also prefer spinners most of the time because they are so versatile to work in the current. Use smaller rooster tails for rock bass and blue gill and #3 Mepps Aglias for smallmouth. Like he said, work them in slack water next to current or right below riffles. My favorite thing is to spot good size rocks upstream and cast just above them. Sweep the lure in a U shaped motion so that it comes in just behind the rock where the fish are waiting to ambush. Sometimes it takes a few throws to get it to fall just right, but there is almost always a fish there waiting for something to float by.

·
'eye addict
478 Posts
When fishing streams for smallies with ultralight tackle, I also like to fish the smallest version of the shallow diving Rebel crawfish crankbaits. These will catch smallmouth, largemouth and rock bass. If you're a "bobber guy", you may want to try minnows below a bobber in the pools. I have also caught smallies in the fall by hooking a nightcrawler through the head on a #6 or #8 hook with a small bullet weight in front of it and bouncing bottom like a plastic worm.

·
Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)
5,882 Posts
the only thing i could add is that my favorite lure for this is a jig head tipped with a single tail grub. good times! it was on for smallies pretty good before the cold snap. ill second working pools and cover from downstream, working and casting upstream. quick retreive. have fun exploring that creek!

·
Moving water...
658 Posts
My primary baits in the creeks when after smallies, LM, spots, etc. are Yum Crawbug 3.5" Pumpkinseed, Soft Jerkbait (senko or similar) in dark green or black, and some kind of minnow immitator like a spinner or Rapala. When the time is right, a Rebel Pop-R or Jitterbug fished late evening or night can be fun too (careful wading a creek at night though).

If you are close to the Ohio River on the creek where you are, you might get some white bass and wipers right now. I usually go with a white grub or shad body on a jig, white spinner, and spoons.

·
Registered
338 Posts
A good question and a lot of useful information here! Thanks! When your lure/bait reaches a current, do you reel it in to keep up with the speed or do you just let your lure/bait drift on its own? As fast as the water can carry it, I sometimes feel like I'm reeling so fast that a fish won't get to it, but maybe that's just a false sense.

·
Registered
155 Posts
i USE ULTRA LITE SPINNING WITH 6-8LB test.my favorite lure is joes fly spinner.Try crappie and panfish curlyhead jigs.senco's will work.try the banjo minnow.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
The smaller Rebel craws are a great creek bait, especially on light action rods. Personally I found the ultralight Bomber craws to work better for creek/stream fishing. I nailed two 17 inch smallies on brown color one last year. I fish upstream and real it back down with current and hit all slack water eddies I can find. Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts