close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Creek Fishing Heating Up!!

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by BiteMyLine, May 29, 2007.

1. BiteMyLine

BiteMyLine Just One More Cast

Went out to a few of my honey holes yesterday afternoon at a local creek with some fresh crawdads and tore up the smallies. Caught quite a few around 13-16" with the biggest one topping out around 17" caught on a 3" helgramite. Most were caught on small craws or craw tails and also had good luck with a rainbow or black rooster tail. Also caught a good number of thick rock bass and a few gills.

2. I was out yesterday morning on a tributary of the LMR and couldn't believe how many crawdads I saw. Definately seem to be more abundant than in years past.

Anyway, had a great day with the fly rod using mainly top water flies.......Sneaky Pete mostly but clouser minnow patttern also worked well. My father in-law was using a chartreuse spinner on a bait caster that also worked great. The water is way low for this time of year but the fish don't seem to care.

3. I have a lot of creeks near me and didnt know what to look for to fish them? How deep are the creeks you are fishing? And what about width? Maybe I should start paying attention to these creeks and maybe Ill get some nice fish!

Thanks
    Brad

4. traphunter

traphunter Guest

I have been having real good luck on small creeks

5. It's crazy out in the creeks. I fished some creeks maybe a week and half ago and didn't get a single bite. Hopefully it stays hot like it has been and the creeks will definetly be picking up in no time.

Jake

6. Brad pretty much any creek that is deep enough to cover a fishes gills will have some in it. Dont let the real small streams scare you off because I have seen some of the largest fishes in the stream in some of the shallowest parts of the stream. Walk them and work the areas closer to holes that are a couple of feet deep for best results imo.

7. BiteMyLine

BiteMyLine Just One More Cast

Went out a not long ago and had a riot catching smallies. 18 smallies, 3 rock bass and a couple bluegill mostly caught slow twitching a rapala. Biggest this year unloaded on my lure just off a rock pile with a downed tree, went roughly 18" and probably around 3lbs. Only fished for a couple hours and didn't have luck on any other lure, tried a wee-crawl, rooster tails(white, black and rainbow), and even fresh crawdad tails only landed a couple rock bass and a couple channel cats. Seems like the smallies only want topwater right now and no complaints here, lots of fun. Creeks have definetely moved into summer patterns.

8. I don't want to spoil anyone's spot but what are some generic smaller creeks in SW Ohio with some good fish?

Over in Indiana ya got Hogan Creek. A friend of the family owns a farm that's about 3 miles upstream from Aurora, IN and it's got some dynamite smallmouth fishing. Mostly 2 pounders but I pulled a 3.5 pounder out a few years back on a crankbait. Also a lot of sunfish and rockbass too.

9. Indian Creek out in Milville has some awesome smallmouth fishing this year I have been catching around 30 everytime I go out there ranging from 8 inches up to 18.... My friend caught a 22 incher about a month ago....