Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
9-23: I did go to check out the local creek for creek chubs. I t was hotter than I expected especially fighting all the weeds to get to the bank of the creek. Once I got my line in the water I did spot the chubs since the water was so clear. I started having problem right off the bat with my open face spinning reel, each cast make a bigger bird nest mess!

I did get 3 chubs 2 tiny, one about 4 inches for my efforts. They did bite very aggressively and were fun to catch. Since the reel was so messed up it really prevented me from casting to the spots as I wanted. I hope to locate a easier spot to try for the chubs in the future and use my closed face spinning rig the next time.

Maybe it would be more productive to try using a minnow trap to get the chubs. Any suggestions as to the best bait to use in the trap. Thanks in advance. Norb

http://cincinnaticatfishing.com

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Fish off the bridge over the crick. I use a #12 hook and a flyrod. I can just reach most spots in small pools just by dipping. A piece of styrofoam is is all you need for a float. I'm talking a 1/2 inch square out of the side of your coffee cup. Just enough redworm or night crawler to cover the hook, which ain't much. A bucket and aerator to keep 'em fresh, easy peasy japaneasy.

·
swamp crawler
2,178 Posts
I use an ultra lite with 2 to 4 pound test, or one of my ice rods. Works like a charm.

Actually I don't even do that anymore. I send my three boys to the creek with a bucket, fishing poles, and some waxies while I mow the grass or whatever else needs done. They come back with a bucket full and are rewarded with a fishing trip. Works even better. Lol

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
biscuit bread in a minnow trap is your friend. when I was growing up in tenn the only thing we had for bait was biscuits. worked great for us. I think some people use dried dog food. but we caught all our bait back then. and bread worked great for catching a lot of minnows.
sherman

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did some more scouting and there is a creek slot closer that has chubs. I can get the minnow trap there easily.I have some extra oyster crackers and could mix a small chocolate candy bar with it.

·
Fishin is livin
385 Posts
biscuit bread in a minnow trap is your friend. when I was growing up in tenn the only thing we had for bait was biscuits. worked great for us. I think some people use dried dog food. but we caught all our bait back then. and bread worked great for catching a lot of minnows.
sherman
Dry dog food is what I use with a little bloodbait on a twig. Can fill a trap in just over a hour.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just went down stairs to get the minnow trap, I could not find it any where!! So that shoots that idea down. I still might be able to catch a few with a rod & reel. Just can not figure out what I did with that trap!! I remember the last time I used it years ago, I put plastic at the top of the wire to keep them from picking the bait through the top. Have too much fishing stuff in my basement!!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The new place is just fine for rod & reel no weeds or gullies to climb around. Just wondering how good thawed chubs work. That is all I have right now. Hope to barter for minnow trap by next spring then us it for I am sure I can loaded up at the New spot.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
9-23: I did go to check out the local creek for creek chubs. I t was hotter than I expected especially fighting all the weeds to get to the bank of the creek. Once I got my line in the water I did spot the chubs since the water was so clear. I started having problem right off the bat with my open face spinning reel, each cast make a bigger bird nest mess!

I did get 3 chubs 2 tiny, one about 4 inches for my efforts. They did bite very aggressively and were fun to catch. Since the reel was so messed up it really prevented me from casting to the spots as I wanted. I hope to locate a easier spot to try for the chubs in the future and use my closed face spinning rig the next time.

Maybe it would be more productive to try using a minnow trap to get the chubs. Any suggestions as to the best bait to use in the trap. Thanks in advance. Norb

http://cincinnaticatfishing.com
change your line to 20# power pro,
put sviwel to the end,and tie leader 3' or 4' floracarbon line any pound test what you like,it work for me last 20 years.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts