close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Creek Chub Question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by H2O Mellon, Jul 31, 2005.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

A few months ago we were having a thread about Creek Chubs, Horny Heads, etc.... basically everybody were saying they were all one in the same. I finally found a pic I took in early May or late April. Has anyone seen these types of creek chubs? This color seems to drive the crappie nuts. I;ve had great luck with these on Lake Logan for years. I just cant see how they (chubs) are all the same type.

[​IMG]

2. I musta missed that thread because Creek Chubs and Horneyhead Chubs are two different species. There are multiple genuses of chubs for that matter.

The predominant fish you have in that picture are Southern Redbelly Dace, Phoxinus erythrogaster . The males are the ones with the bright red bellies. You also have a few Central Stonerollers in there. There might be a third species but I'm not sure. SRBD are big for crappie down south and are sold in bait many bait stores.

Where'd ya get them at? Everytime I went seining purposely searching for them I never came acrossed them. Feel free to PM if ya like.

Some "chub" species in Ohio.

River Chub
    Horneyhead Chub
    Creek Chub
    Streamline Chub
    Bigeye Chub
    Silver Chub
    Gravel Chub
    Shoal Chub

Off the top of my head not only is that 8 species, but that is also 5 genuses, so as you can see they aren't all the same. Though several of those are rare or gone from Ohio like Gravel, Streamline, and Shoal Chubs.

3. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Bryan, you dont know a chub from a dace man!

4. H2O Mellon

Just like Sunfish, Warmouth, Green Ears, Red Ears, man they're all BLUEGILLS to me! :p

5. shadowman

shadowman Supreme Being

the striped one is a darter, panfish and bass love em big time........they love chubs also but they go crazy for them darters, great bait....... :B

6. H2O Mellon

I wish they grew bigger, the biggest I;ve seen out of our creek is 3 inches or so. Shoot if anyone wants some of these around the Lake Logan area & I know I'll be there let me know. We have 1000's of them all through the creek.

7. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

I have a question. The creek that I get my creek chubs is full of small pumpkinseeds and sometimes that is all that I get in my traps. Does anyone know of a bait or method to get creek chubs and not so many darn gills? The smallies just don't like the panfish species like they do a good ol creek chub.

8. shadowman

shadowman Supreme Being

the best way to get chubs is the hardest way........seine for them........a trap isn,t bad but you have to take what you get but if your up to seining for them you can at least pick and choose.................... :B

9. I've caught some monster creek chubs on jigs before. I with there was a Fish Ohio category for them cause the creek by my place has some monsters. I catch good bait sized ones too on small jigs.

10. Cat Mazter

Cat Mazter Pro Catfisherman

I have used them before too, They are a great Bait for the Crappie & I have caught a few Bass on them too. ;)
    Cat Mazter

11. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

I was thinking of trying small hooks with wax worms for some big chubs. Anyone have any luck with this. I have been catching some in my traps that look too big to fit through the hole in the trap

12. H2O
    (just like sunfish.......)

Thats why I call all catfish mudcats.... its too hard to learn the differences between them;)

MA

13. Hatchetman

Hatchetman Senior Member

If you want to have a little fun and get bait too, just mix up some bread, minus the crust with a little water and some vanilla and kneed it till it's nice and firm. Use about a 3/8 in. diameter bobber and a # 10 or 12 short shank hook. Put a small ball of dough, big enough to cover the barb and drift it through a nice hole in a small creek. Catch a bunch of bait and have fun doing it. When I was a kid my Dad used to take us to Laurel creek in Harrison County in the fall. We used grass hoppers for bait and floated them with no weight and the big horned chubs would come up and take them like bass. We would catch them 10-11 in. and Dad would put them in a fish bag to keep them alive and cooked them when we got home. He called them poor man's trout. They were delicious. That's my 2 cent's worth....Pete....AKA Hatchetman

14. sorry but there are no darters in that picture....the fish with the red and black horizontal stripes with yellow fins are Southern Redbelly Dace. The ones withouth the red are the females. Three inches is by far the biggest SRB Dace you will get. Rosysides and Redside Dace get about an inch bigger.

Try a small mesh dip net for them. Use the stream to help you pin them somewhere like against a riffle or bank or area where they have no choice to go but into your net.

15. H2O Mellon

My kid (6 year old & 2 year old twins) are always in the creek catching them. They have tons of babies in the water right now.

16. That is GREAT to hear. That is how I started and now its what I do for a living. Great way to learn, appreciate, and respect. Right now is a big time to see young of year fish. I've been snorkeling alot this past year as part of various surveys and you'd be amazed how many more fish there are than what you see visibly above the water or even in typical fishery sampling methods like netting or shocking. Another great way to see what is there and cool off in the 90 degree heat. Take a small aquarium net in with ya its a great way to catch darters.

17. H2O Mellon

It kills me , there will be 20-30 littles in in a 23 foot sdection of creek that is only an inch & a half deep.

The majority of the creek is dry, only the holes remain wet. We need rain, but I pray its after this weekend!

18. Hatchetman

Hatchetman Senior Member

Hey Ashtonmj....In my area a lot of people from across the river in West Va. always talked about catching Fall Fish, in the fall naturally, and about how good they are. They always's said a real big one was 11 in. or so. Took me a few years to finally find out what they are catching, horned chubs, but they call them fall fish. Taking kids to fish those small streams is a great way for them to learn current and how to present a bait to the fish. Nothing like a nice creek to teach a kid about the world of water....

19. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

mudcats????? That is an insult to the most beautifull fish that swims..LOL