Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally had a couple hours to myself yesterday, so I went to the creek. I keep going back to this stretch of holes that is fairly far upstream. These holes are not the biggest holes being this far up the watershed, but there are some decent fish in them, and there is a pod of good sized suckers that lives in the one that have been tormenting me the whole time I've known about this place. Because of this, I left my fly rod at home and brought my ML spinning combo.
As soon as I stepped in the water, crayfish darted everywhere! I have never seen as many crayfish as I did yesterday. So I did something I'm not proud of... That's right. I used crayfish as bait.
Right away I got in to a decent smallmouth with bright red eyes (sorry for the blurry picture, I took it through the sandwich bag that I keep my phone in while fishing lol). I got in to some sunfish of multiple species (green, longear, and bluegill) as well. Those sucker bastards still won't touch my offerings though; they seem to get spooked by their own shadow, and proceed to run back and forth across the hole in panic every time I cast.
I moved down a few holes until I got to the one that marks the end of this stretch of the creek. It is right behind a bridge and is quite deep, and the only way to get to it is to wade through the tunnel under the bridge, and there is no way to wade around it. I struggled for a bit to catch a craw, hooked it on and tossed it out, and watched my line. It went tight, then it went slack, so I reeled in the slack and set the hook. My rod tip went DOWN.
I was in to a good fight here, but I didn't know what it was. It was going down so I thought, catfish? I haven't seen a cat this far up the creek, but this is a deep hole so I thought it is possible. I got it up where I could see it thrashing and I almost confirmed it was a 3-4 lb channel cat, until I saw its mouth. I realized that this was the biggest smallmouth bass I have seen in this watershed, and maybe one of the biggest I have seen in general, especially in this part of the world. I was standing knee deep in this tunnel trying to figure out how I was going to grab this beast without getting a hook through my hand, as he thrashed all around me, when he literally spit the hook at my feet!
Now I finally know what you guys are all talking about. This is the first time that a trophy bass has broken my heart, and I think I will remember it forever. After he spit the hook, he just swam off all lazy and slow like he didn't even care. At this point I figured that no amount of small creek fish could comfort me, so I packed it up and turned in. I'm not totally disappointed though. This creek is clearly healthy and has new surprises for me every time I go.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Nice fish King.....nothin wrong with using crawdads for bait at all...I do it a bunch in the summer and they are an excellent bait for every species in the river!

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
If it is the same creek and I am pretty sure it is. I had a run in with that guy a month back. That is the tunnel of dissapointment. Still the most fun is fishing skinny water.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it is the same creek and I am pretty sure it is. I had a run in with that guy a month back. That is the tunnel of dissapointment. Still the most fun is fishing skinny water.
Haha that is how I will refer to that hole from now on.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
The craws were darting all over the place today in the shallows. Not sure what the big stigma is about live bait. It's the most natural way to fish. Smallmouth will crush those things harder than anything. Nice catch!

I've had many moments when the smallmouth have bested me and the bigger they are the harder it hurts when you watch'em get away as the victor. I feels ya pain!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
860 Posts
Those big ones seem to know how to shake a hook but it sure is exciting while it lasts. Nice report thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yes me too I confess! My boy found a treasure trove of crawdads on the GMR the other day & I caved and let him catch a bunch..........wow, did we get bit. He had a blast catching the craws which he is darn good at, had a blast catching smallies, and bagged a beautiful smallie just shy of 19". We've been back a couple times since then and he has nailed some 16" smallies on craws as well. So I'll hump around with my artificals when I am flying solo, but that is rare these days as he is almost always with me. So we have been doing a fair amount of feeding the smallies a steady diet of craws the last 2 weeks..........I confess it has been fun for us both.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
This is the first time that a trophy bass has broken my heart, and I think I will remember it forever.
Truer Words have never been spoken!!!!!

This may be the first time...but unfortunately....it won't be the last.

So what if you used crawdads: probably the biggest reason that I don’t use live bait very often is that I can only carry so much.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I LOVE to use soft 1"- 2" `dads for bait. The 2cnd biggest walleye I ever caught came on a 1" crayfish; I admit that at that time I was astonished that that 28" gator hit it within 30 seconds of it settling under my Wingit bobber in about 8 fow at dawn. It completely SWALLOWED it...(GULP !!!) Few baits are DEADLIER than small molted crayfish; almost everything that has fins and swims WILL gladly inhale them !

·
Registered
187 Posts
So any nifty containers to keep craws in when you have waded far from sand bars, islands etc to leave a bucket? We wanted to check out a stretch under some trees last night but we'd be a 100 yards or more from our smally candy jar. I thought the beeter of stuffing them in my shorts (ROFL!).

·
Registered
3,843 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I remember a family friend who used to take me fishing when I was young had these mesh zipper pouches, that you could clip on to your shorts or waders or whatever. We would pull off the craws' pinchers when we caught them and throw them in the pouch. It worked pretty well as I recall. When I was fishing in this report though I wasn't initially planning on live bait, so I had no means to carry them, so I just caught them one by one as needed. I gotta say, I am getting to old to catch them by hand efficiently. I may need to get a small net lol.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Where is this located?
really?

EDIT: sorry for being harsh, you are new and probably don't know the drill. The standard procedure here is to not give away specific spots on the internet. My suggestion would be to go on Google Maps or anything similar and find spots. Creeks are fun but can get overfished quickly. There are some creeks in NKY that hold smallies, I'm not too familiar with that area but I know they exist.
General rules to follow: don't got to the Mill Creek, there's fish in it but it is pretty polluted lol.

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
really?

EDIT: sorry for being harsh, you are new and probably don't know the drill. The standard procedure here is to not give away specific spots on the internet. My suggestion would be to go on Google Maps or anything similar and find spots. Creeks are fun but can get overfished quickly. There are some creeks in NKY that hold smallies, I'm not too familiar with that area but I know they exist.
General rules to follow: don't got to the Mill Creek, there's fish in it but it is pretty polluted lol.
You know that fish came from the Mill Creek quit trying to hide your secret spot. Just remember to fish a brown zara spook when you go to the mill creek. You gotta match the hatch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts