crazy question....

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by hardwaterfan, Nov 22, 2008.

1. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

crazy question to be asking in November, but....any ice reports? any look-sees? i plan on taking a walk later on today just to see whats up. couple ponds close by. just wonder what they look like. i had some water in a few buckets out back, cant beleive how well frozen they were. disconnected my outside spigot, thankfully not too late before the pipe burst!

2. Mogadore had skim ice on the shallow marsh area off Old Forge (East) along with some ice at the boat launch at Palm & Saxe Rd.

Some of the smaller bays off Sunnybrook had ice on them and the cat-marsh east of St Rt 43 (South of the Boat Launch) had skim ice also.

3. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Skim ice covering entire pond at my house (central Ohio) this morning

4. tomb

tomb Tom B.

Provided it doesn't go above freezing for more than a couple hours a day I'll start scouting on Dec 13th.

5. mrphish42

mrphish42 locators dont lie

Hardwaterfan.......not a dumb question......Akron set a record low of 14 this week......Tonite's prediction 19.....and that will probably be lower in the rural areas. All these temp's have really lowered the lake temp. fast....Once we get that first skim over in general........best thing that can happen, is to not get a heavy snow fall on it...... insulates it too much and starts to make for a very uneven thickness and even will keep layers of water on top of the ice but under the snow cover........which I'm sure you have experienced in you ice fishing trips.......Punderson is great for this (bad) thing to happen....Since it lies in the snow belt and is surrounded by higher hills. Gets first ice cover,1 to 3 inches and then it dumps 14 inches of snow and it takes forever for the ice to get where I feel comfortable and some what safe.....Cause no ice...... is totally safe......Jon Sr. SO bring on the cold and turn off the snow.....

6. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

i totally agree and hope for that every year. i hate snow :D

7. I was surprised to see just about every pond I drove by yesterday was 90%+ iced over.