Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something i've never witnessed before happened this past weekend while fishing LaDue. My girlfriend and I rented a little Jon boat and did some fishing. Didn't catch much at first, but about 1 hr into it I cast my line out and set my rod down for about 15-20 seconds as soon as I did I got a hit; not only a hit but a hit and run! So hard in fact it dragged my entire pole into the murky water and down it went never to be seen again...Or so I thought.

I was pissed and kinda chalked it up to a loss for my own stupidity, we brought 3 rods in total so I just kinda shook my head and started to string up my other. Keep in mind we were anchored at the time and not moving around much. My girlfriend gets a hit and it kinda went like this...

GF - BOOM I got something
ME - really?
GF - it's heavy
ME - nice
GF - crap I think it's the anchor line
Me - scratches head
GF - Oh my god it's your POLE!

I kid you not she fished up my lost pole what are the odds!?!? Here's the kicker THE FISH WAS STILL HOOKED! We pulled up not only my lost fishing rod, but what appeared to be a 8-10 lb catfish (picture attached below) I've never encountered a situation like this before and we haven't stopped joking about it since it happened.

The big question is...Who's catch is it? I still call it mine, but I don't think I have a leg to stand
on.

Water

·
Registered
996 Posts
Had that happen before! My buddy was sitting there not paying attention to his rod, I said you better watch that rod closer there are a bunch of big carp in here. No more did I get the sentence out of my mouth and I hear gravel moving, I said there goes your rod. Haha. Ten minutes later I hooked his rod which was attached to a 10# carp! Lol

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Have done basically the same. According to GWs who ever reels it in caught the fish. So who reeled in your rod once you got it back?

·
Registered
741 Posts
My brother in law and I were fishing from a canoe in the canals of Florida a few years ago. He sets down his pole to get a second one ready. We had been catching spanish mackeral which hit the lure like a speeding bullet so I warned him about setting his pole down. I had no sooner said the words when his pole shot out of the canoe like a rocket! Over the next hour or so we watched many times as the bobber surfaced in the distance and we would paddle over there but as soon as we approached the fish would dive and we never did get his pole back. We still tell that story (with a little embellishment) each time we fish in that area.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
We were ice fishing bluegills had a good bite going when I looked over and watched my rod go down the hole rod tip first :eek: we kept fishing and I see the butt section of my rod bobbing in the hole I pulled it up and still had the 1b bass on other end :)

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I have retrieved two rods over the years. The first was off a dock at Indian, that one was easy. The second one my son dropped in a pond we were belly boating in. Later that summer the water was down a bit. I found I could touch bottom in the area he lost it and my foot hit something. After a while I was able to retrieve it. No fish on it though...

·
Catcher of Fish
2,855 Posts
Was fishing Lake St Clair several years ago when one of my buddies reeled in a nice baitcasting rig with a 2 lb smallmouth still attached. He released the fish and we got a big laugh out of it. That afternoon as we're idling back up the channel to the ramp we can overhear a guy in a nearby boat bitchin' about losing his gear. When we got to the ramp we asked him what he had lost and he described the baitcasting outfit to a tee. He was amazed we had it and returned it to him.

·
Great cycle challenge team OHIO GAME FISHING
1,797 Posts
It's her catch 100%. Good story.
Wife had this happen to her at pymatuning. We had a bunch of rods out and weren't paying attention. I think I was digging in the car for something. She says "chit the rods gone!" Oh well. Bout 20 minutes later the same 3 pound cat came back for more. That was a mess to untangle. Think I just cut both lines. Caught a bunch of bowfin that day too. It was interesting. Then we got poured on and left soaking wet. Came so fast we ran to the car but didnt matter. The tree canopy didnt even save us.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts