Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Urban Angler
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out with Lindawan and Mevers to nail some smalleys at the Darby...almost died when we accidently got a 4 foot MONSTER copperhead in the seign net. luckily we screamed like girls and dropped the net before we had a big problem on our hands.

i got this GIANT sheepshead out of one of our pools. i didn't weigh it, but had to have been 5lbs+. thought i had a monster cat on or something until i got it up

Lindawan caught several nice smalleys, capped off by this BEAUTIFUL 19" 4.3lb Smallmouth

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Nice work fellas. Got to love seining the Darby,never know what your going to bring up.

·
CJ Wolfpack
4,311 Posts
You're a better man than me cause i I woulda pulled out that Copperhead I might soiled my shorts:D. Nice Sheepshead you landed there,would you have rather caught that or a cat(like you originally thought it was)?

Now that's one fantastic smallie Lindawan landed,great pic and thanks for posting it.

·
Urban Angler
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good question.. it's cool to catch a drum out of the river. didn't really think they were in there. looking back at the picture i dont know why i'm holding it like it's someone's used condom, but a cool catch none the less.

we're killin em on this new pattern. i cant believe how effective it is

·
Banned
1,754 Posts
good question.. it's cool to catch a drum out of the river. didn't really think they were in there. looking back at the picture i dont know why i'm holding it like it's someone's used condom, but a cool catch none the less.

we're killin em on this new pattern. i cant believe how effective it is
the rivers full of sheepheads..:) little crome and black normans thats the one to use for them

·
Registered
934 Posts
Ive been catching snakes in the Darby since I could remember and have never seen a copperhead. A lot of people mix up the common water snake (pic 2) for the copperhead (pic 1). Not saying this is what you did, but something to look out for.

Pic 3 is me catching one of the larger ones of that year with that color pattern.

Attachments

·
Who?
3,415 Posts
Maybe the DNR dropped them on balloons from helicopters...:D (Joke)

Those common water snakes are meaner than, well meaner than a snake! They sure try hard to make you THINK they're poisonous.
My son kept one as a pet for almost a year. And that dam thing never missed a chance to make a lunge at you.

·
Urban Angler
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah, actually talked to my cousin today who's a doctorate in biology with university of toledo. his master thesis was on the darters of the darby. he basically told me i was an idiot and it's a northern watersnake, not a copperhead. he said, 100% of the attitude, 0% of the venom. whatever though...not bout to find out the hard way!

·
Who?
3,415 Posts
I'm with you, Skycruiser. I don't hang around long enough to find out. Those water snakes are meaning that crap, man.

I would've been right there with you, doin the screaming girl, jumpy-jumpy dance.:D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for posting up the pics! It was def a northern water snake and I don't think I've ever jumped out of a river as fast as when we pulled it up. It looked mean and I sure as he'll wasn't about to see if he would bite. Good times!

·
Urban Angler
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the coolest thing about the giant smalley was the number of hook marks in her grill. catch and release at its finest!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Copperhead. Watersnake. Northern Watersnake. Gardenersnake.

I really don't care to be honest - I'd be doing the scream'n'run as well...

·
Registered
175 Posts
I missed the snake in the net episode, arriving a few minutes later but can't give them any crap at all considering how squeamish I am about sticking my hand into a bucket of live craws, they look too much like scorpions!

As far as holding that fish like a used condom, drum pretty much are the used condom version of fish :D

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Great smallie.
I was thinking as soon as I read the first post that generally copperheads aren't water types of snakes nor central Ohio sorts either...

Nice condom fish... lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts