close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Crayfish?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Rooster, Sep 1, 2005.

1. I plan to gather some crayfish this weekend. What is the best way to keep them alive? I only need to keep them for about 48 hours. Should I keep them refrigerated?

Initially, I planned to just turn over some rocks and get a few dozen. Is it worth getting one of those wire traps? What should I use as bait?

Thanks!

2. I can't really help you on the keeping them alive part but the other day I saw a couple of guys catching them in a stream using one of those little nets that are used in an aquarium. I thought that seemed like a pretty good idea because I always seem to struggle getting a hand on those suckers.:rolleyes:

3. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

refrigerated and aerated,they must have oxygen

4. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

I have been keeping some crawls in my 55gal. aquarium. They have lived for weeks for me. I just have to lift up the rocks in the tank and find them when i go to fish. If you don't have one put them in a bucket w/ an aerator.

5. I have used this method & it works great. Package wet newspaper in a cardboard box. Layer the newspaper & put in the refrigerator. Works real well, but make sure the cardboard box has some small holes in it & is sealed tight. THe wife still recalls going down to let the dog out in the morning, with large crayfish crawling around the kitchen floor.

6. Hooch

Hooch Fare Thee Well!

Ronk, that reminds me of the time a buddy and I fell asleep pulling an all nighter on Buckeye. When we woke up at 7:30am, we were surrounded by bass boats and had crawdads crawling all over us and the boat...whomever baited last left the ice cream container they put the craws in open! -Hooch-

7. With nightly lows in the 50s they should keep just fine in a bucket of creek water. Craws are simple to catch. Lift rock, place dipnet about 6" behind the craw's tail, wave hand in front of craw, craw swims backward into dipnet, repeat ;) .

8. Quickest way to gather crayfish. Use minnow seine but opposite the way you would for minnows. Stand in front of net wade slowly backwards, shuffle rocks with your feet as you go. Do not worry about muddying the water as this seems to help. Check frequently for captive crayfish. Works best with trusty assistant wading and disturbing rocks also. This method has got me many wet (__!__) es but plenty of crayfish too.