close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Crawfish Tails?

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by tpet96, Apr 14, 2004.

1. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

What do you have to do in this freaking state to get crawfish tails to cook with ? LOL. I have called 20 stores in a 60 mile radius this morning, and nobody carries them anymore. Anyone have any suggestions? Meijer, Kroger, etc. don't carry them.

2. Ken

Ken KLN

I saw some already cooked at either super walmart or giant eagle a cople of weeks ago

3. Get a sein and hit the local creek. I have done this before and had all the crawdad you could ever want. Or you can set crawdad traps in the creek and pick them up the next morning. If you want to buy them you can get them from www.zatarains.com

4. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Just the tails......shelled and de-veined....or the whole crawfish? I don't want the whole thing :) Hate paying for pieces and parts I'm not going to use. Make that 25 stores now.

5. West Point Market in Akron has them.

And they ship, I do believe.

6. catking

catking Banned

let me guess- Carp recipe :D Hey, the mid section of the crawdad has all the oils in it. But who knows what you have in mind :rolleyes: By the way, our Biggs down here ususally has them. CATKING.

7. ShoreBoundOne

ShoreBoundOne lengthy Member

Either the Kroger or the IGA in Port Clinton Carries frozen cooked tails...i cant remember which.

Mitch

8. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Mitch,

Do you have phone numbers for those? That's exactly what I'm looking for :)

9. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

I do get my own in the warmer months, but I'm looking for some to cook with in the next day or so. LOL. Still too cold to be getting them here.

10. ShoreBoundOne

Shawn,
    I just called both, it was IGA that sold em. They said they dont have any at the moment but should be able to get some in through their Distributor. Here's the number: Bassets IGA (419) 734-6506

Mitch

11. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Argh. LOL. I need them by Friday.....and noone can get them by then. LOL. I wonder if the fish house downtown has them? Do you have the number for the Port Clinton Fish House? I don't have a phone book here for up there.

12. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

I saw some frozen at the super Walmart in Canal Winchester.

13. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Thanks for the heads up! I might contact super walmart here. That's about the only place I didn't call :)

14. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

I think I just found some :)

15. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

WOOHOO! :) Crawfish Etouffee is on the way folks :D :D Thanks for the walmart tips guys. I didn't even think of calling there. That's where I just found them. THey have a TON in stock......and it's only 10mins from my house.

16. Etouffee is some good stuff! I have never made it though, you got a recipe you could share?

17. ShoreBoundOne

I called over there...no dice. I tried to get hold of the super walmart in Sandusky but noone picked up....heres their # (419) 627-8778 . They are probably your best bet....its a good store.

Mitch

18. ShoreBoundOne

Thats what i get for not refreshing my screen....mud bugs all around !!!

Mitch

19. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Here is what I use when I make it. But for a large group, I double the ingredients, except the crawfish. I then add 2lbs of shrimp to the crawfish:

2 pounds cleaned crawfish tails
    1/4 pound butter
    1 cup onion, chopped
    1/2 cup celery, chopped
    ½ cup green bell pepper, chopped
    ½ cup red bell pepper, chopped
    ½ cup tomatoes, diced
    2 tbsps garlic, diced
    2 bay leaves
    1/2 cup tomato sauce
    1 cup flour
    2 quarts crawfish stock or water
    1 ounce sherry
    1 cup green onions, chopped
    ½ cup parsley, chopped
    salt and cayenne pepper to taste
    Louisiana Gold Pepper Sauce
    2 cups white rice, steamed

METHOD:
    In a 2-gallon stock pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, bell peppers, tomatoes, garlic and bay leaves. Sauté until vegetables are wilted, approximately 3-5 minutes. Add crawfish tails and tomato sauce and blend well into mixture. Using a wire whip, blend flour into the vegetable mixture to form a white roux. Slowly add crawfish stock or water, a little at a time, until sauce consistency is achieved. Continue adding more stock as necessary to retain consistency. Bring to a rolling boil, reduce to simmer and cook 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add sherry, green onions and parsley and cook an additional 5 minutes. Season to taste using salt and cayenne pepper. Serve over steamed white rice using a few dashes of Louisiana Gold Pepper Sauce.