close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

crawfish patterns

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by big_fish, Jan 16, 2005.

1. big_fish

big_fish the fish whisperer

i'm trying some new approaches to tying crawfish and looking for a material for the shell and tail any thing will be apriciated thanks

2. ..felt, goose / turkey "back", thin leather, !

3. Turn the hook up side down(long shank)
    -take 2 small oval shaped feathers and tie them at the bend of the hook for the claws
    -tie the tail up near the eye of the hook. (Use what ever appeals)section of feathers arrange in a fan shape
    -Find a long slender tear drop shaped brown saddle hackle
    anchor the base of the hackle feather at the claws and run it in a spiral op the skank to build up the profile
    -last lay either a thick cluster of peacock strands or a slender strip of scud back material(soft plastic) along the back of the fly. anchor behind the claws and keep your wraps 1/8th in apart as you move your way down to the tail.

4. I like to use furry foam. I usually tie and fish the Clauser Crayfish, it works for me!

5. Check out Fly anglers online there was a guy who make a crab with thin leather and foam there is a pic of it and there are a few other patterns on there. www.flyanglersonline.com Later Matt

6. big_fish

big_fish the fish whisperer

stonefly thanks alot thats a great site with alot of patterns very helpful

7. This is my favorite craw patter. Everything you need is here, direcs, what to gte, recipe, etc. http://www.virtualflybox.com/patterns/pattern.php?id=234 hope this helps.

mat

8. You welcome if you need anymore info feel free to e-mail me directly. I have many sites and such in my fav's . Where about are you in eastern Ohio? I'm in Lancaster.Later Matt

9. http://flytyingforum.com/index.php?act=flyshow&s=$s&showid=407

Simple to tye and very effective.