close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Craw-Flies

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by Utard, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Utard

Utard

I was going to post this in my Tangy Smallies thread, but figured it would be better served as another thread. Here is the recipe for a crawfish fly that I came up with last night using some materials from a recent swap. This was tied specifically for the Olentangy and I may make some adjustments to it as I plan on catching a few to analyze colors and size specifics. Anyway, here is the recipe:

Tie on in this order
    Hook: Size 6 Daichii 4x (but most streamer hooks would work, whatever size you like)
    Thread: Brown (size to match hook, 6/0 is always nice)
    Eyes: Gold Bead Chain at just above the barb of the hook
    Claws: Mule Deer hair (medium clump, wrap 3/4 of the way up the hair after you've tied it on so just the ends flare. This is kind of a pain, but looks good)
    Thorax/head: Dark brown, gray hare dubbing (wrap over the deer hair, trimmed butts and in front of-toward hook eye-bead chain)
    Body: same color rabbit strip as dubbing, cut cross-grain (trim after tying on so you can still see the eyes and it doesn't look unnatural)
    Legs: peacock herl ( two to each side, slanted back agressively)

It looks good and I can't wait to try it, but I just had a couple good ideas while I was typing this. I think I will tie some more but use the peacock herl as antannae, some rubber stretch for legs and another deer hair clump for the tail, sticking out over the hook eye.

Anyone have any other favorite craw patterns for the Olentangy or other Ohio streams for smallies?

2. Utard

Utard

Very nice looking craw. That furry foam looks great!

3. Nice looking crawdad. How do you guys prefer to fish em, drifted or like a streamer?

4. Very nice! I get them down to the bottom and crawl them slow over rocks etc..in pools..good way to lose flys but has worked for me.
    Went to Rocky this morning had to sprint out of the river when all the lightning started kinda scary...check the flow rate on Rock River now
    http://waterdata.usgs.gov/oh/nwis/uv?04201500
    Janus

5. Utard

Utard

I like a typical wet fly swing, then varied retreives. I'll cast 45 degrees upstream to let it sink down into the proper feeding column and then throw a mend or two to keep the belly out of the line as its pulled down stream. Most hits for me come just as the fly changes speed or drops a little bit more. In the slower pools, I'll use different stripping methods depending on what works.

6. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

Nice fly could not tell from the photo is the hook point up over the back. Also adding the heavier dumbell eye at the tail along with deer hair claw will help the fly sit tail down claws up imitating the crayfish in the defensive position which give's a more realistic look imo. Real good looking fly though it would be a killer down here in our rivers. S

7. Thanks for the comments guys . Sevenx yes the hook is over the back so it rides hook up, and I'm using the dumbell eyes to help make it set hook up. I don't think I had dumbell eyes on the one in the picture, but they do make a difference.
    I usually cast up and across and retreive with short strips. I tie them on size 8 to 4 long shank streamer hooks.

8. sevenx

I thought so but could not quite make it out. I have picked up a couple with the same technique this year as well as dead drift. But only been out a little bit so have not caught enough to pattern them. S

9. MadRad

MadRad Seasoned Member

Here is a little trick for you to try. I use a set of curved furnace hen neck feathers to make the claws. The rust and black color seems to work well on the rivers in southern OH. Besides, I don't have to add as much weight as when I tie them with deer hair for claws. I also use a piece of turkey feather to form the caripace (shell) but coat it with finger nail polish for durability. If I knew how to do the picture thing I would show you a bug. Take care.

Rick

10. sevenx, I was just rereading this and realised you thought I used deer hair for the claws on my crawdad. That's not deer hair, I use fox squrriel tail for the claws. I think that deer hair would be more bouant and take more weight to get it down, and most of the places I fish the water is only about 3 ft. or less. They take awhile for me to tie but they work pretty good.

11. sevenx

Thanks for letting me know. I have tried the kreel claws and they work pretty well and save some time. They also flutter a bit on the drop or strip. A little pricey per fly but do save time. S