Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine is moving from California to Ohio. Here in the Niles area and we both want to know is there anywhere you can buy craw fish? He likes to use it and does anyone sell gold fish for bait? Thanks for the help. GOOD LUCK and BE SAFE...:F

·
Registered
416 Posts
you can get the goldfish at petsmart or a pet store the last time i did that i think they where 7 cents apice.... the crawfish would be another storie those are hard to come by

·
Registered
38 Posts
I know last week they hadcraw fish up at skeeter at the bait shop on the south end. I am not sure if they have them all the time or just sometimes but it is worth a shot.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Yes you can buy goldfish from petstore, BUT be careful if u do that. They are considered a domisticated ped, and it is very illegal to do that!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
your not allowed to buy goldfish for bait ? Then why can you buy them to feed to other fish in a tank ? Just wondering

·
Them Boys
160 Posts
Funny u mentioned crawfish , today I caught some 15 inchers that coughed up small crayfish in the well today. I always thought that crawfish was prodominantly a Bass forage but I guess Walleyes eat them to. Might have to try a crawfish color crankbait next trip.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Easiest thing to do is go to a creek near by, and get the crawfish. We use to all the time.

Feeder fish is what your after not actual goldfish you keep as a pet. You can get those at a pet store.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Funny u mentioned crawfish , today I caught some 15 inchers that coughed up small crayfish in the well today. I always thought that crawfish was prodominantly a Bass forage but I guess Walleyes eat them to. Might have to try a crawfish color crankbait next trip.
You would be surprised at what eats craw fish. I never knew carp love them until we went and got our own craw fish from the creek, and when my buddy caught one I was like "bah stupid carp" and he said that's what we are fishing for.

I thought we were going for catfish, never knew carp ate craw fish.

·
Outdoorsman
34 Posts
This time of year the crawfish shed there outer shells and become really soft. All the fish love to eat when this happens. If you fish with them only fish with the really light colored ones and allot of times when they shed they lose a pincer look for that also.

·
Registered
542 Posts
your not allowed to buy goldfish for bait ? Then why can you buy them to feed to other fish in a tank ? Just wondering
I think because they are a foreign species, and not allowed to be
introduce into the ecosystem. On the flip side neither are the fathead minnows. As far as buying crays I personally never seen them for sale other than to eat @ Super Kmart in Niles. If you know carp are feeding in a rocky area and see bubbles rising they are literally flipping rocks looking to devour crays, they love 'em! I have witnessed this event at the creek in the Pymatuning State Park campground. Other than seining, I got nothing.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Get a minnow trap, bait it with fresh fish (I use the waste from filleted 'eyes and perch), and put it in a rocky area over night. You should catch a bunch doing this. You will get a variety of sizes, as well, so you can pick the size you want for bait. The trap will pay for itself in just a few days. I actually set 7 of them at a time, to up my odds.

·
Registered
72 Posts
A friend of mine is moving from California to Ohio. Here in the Niles area and we both want to know is there anywhere you can buy craw fish? He likes to use it and does anyone sell gold fish for bait? Thanks for the help. GOOD LUCK and BE SAFE...:F
I don't know where you live but if you're anywhere near Parma OH go to Parma Pets. He sells crawfish.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts