Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im trying to catch some chubs and I seem to be doing pretty well but im catching as many crayfish as minnies sometimes. Should I keep the crayfish or toss them. Can I keep them in the same bucket as my minnies or will they eat the chubs? Please answer relatively soon. I need to know if I should keep or this them out.

·
Registered
16,661 Posts
Depends what you are fishing for.....Years ago I used to peel the meat out of the tails and use it to catch bass in the rivers. It would be a nice white chuck a little smaller than a piece od double bubble gum. Bet it would make a fine catfish bait too.

If they can, they will eat your minnows too

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Ill at least segregate them unless someone tells me for sure that they are useful for fishing. Otherwise ill pitch them. I mean if they aren't as useful as minnows ill just toss them and keep the minnies to save room. I can probably do better with minnows and bass fishing than Cray fish im guessing. Unless someone and tell me otherwise.

·
Just a blind man trying to catch a fish!!!!!!
1,978 Posts
They are great Smallie bait if You have river close by, I've also used for Cats if You can get some big ones, if you want to keep them with Your minnows it's wise to rip off the pinchers..

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do I hook them live? Im afraid they will just rip their tails off if I try to hook them that way. What's your thoughts?

·
Registered
119 Posts
while holding crab right side up, run the hook up thru the tail near the end.
After the hook is thru, turn it, and run it back down thru the tail near where it meets the body. Gives it a natural backward action when you are retrieving it like it is trying to escape something. Usually a number four hook is good unless they are larger crayfish.

·
Registered
119 Posts
yep. Cats love em. As do smallies and carp. Fished the Allegheny all my life with them and hellgrammites.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts