close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Crappie-when they start?

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by NorthSouthOhioFisherman, Oct 20, 2007.

1. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

NorthSouthOhioFisherman The Young Outdoorsman

Now that i no where to go and wat to use lol! When do u guys start catching em? Is it too early or are there some to be caught now? thanks-nsof

2. They're bitting. I caught 3 12.5"+ recently and plan to hit up some more this weekend.

3. Watching the water temps and playing the areas for bites, I started to catch a few around the Sandusky area.
    Now the bite so far has been casting jigs and a slow retieve but as the temps drop vertical jigging will become better.
    I'm a Jig guy and stay away from live bait only because I'm lazy and don't want to carry alot of things.
    If I was honest, I think the fall bit will be good this year , but you have to search and look for cover to intice those silver babys to bite.

Last night I finished with 9 from downtown Sandusky, but they all were over 11 " and I had them for lunch.

With the wind the water is down and I had to retrieve fast, but the bites were hard.

Yes, Crappies, Bring it on !!!!

Good fishing,
    JimG

4. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

NorthSouthOhioFisherman The Young Outdoorsman

do you fish marinas or river areas? does the water clarity have to be that good? Thanks sounds like they're on!

5. Here's a 14" crappie I pulled out of a smaller body of water Sunday. counted the jig to near bottom then slow retrieval.
    [​IMG]

6. Nice fish Bling!

I went searching for some craps last saturday and got :S . All I got was a bluegill.

Does anyone know the "ideal" water temps to really activate the fall bite?