Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering with all the fish that were caught, did anyone catch a saugeye? You have to figure with all the minnows and everything else there would be some saugeye caught.
thanks for the info
ying

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
not here.but we did catch a couple bass on roadrunners and minnies.

·
If your gonna be a bear..
1,188 Posts
We did not catch a saugeye but we did catch lm bass and channel cats with our crappie.

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Caught a couple catfish and bluegills, along with the crappies...

·
Lost in the 50's
2,278 Posts
Wayne caught a large White Bass on the roadrunner and minnie I believe?

·
STX 206 Viper
1,861 Posts
We caught crappie, LM bass, channel cats, and bluegill. I htought we would catch eyes too, but no luck.
Brian

·
Original OGF Staff member and owner
13,425 Posts
Saugeye are there but not many, The State has stopped stocking them as it seems most washed over the dam.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I find it very interesting how you can still catch quite a few of them below the dam, but above there is nothing.... You would think that with all the guys working the cover and all the other tacticts that if there any saugeye in the lake someone would have picked up a couple.
I wonder if anyone has caught one out of there in the past couple years?

·
Lost in the 50's
2,278 Posts
one on the lake. Below the dam is a different story though.

·
Multi Species Angler
6,141 Posts
Not many saugeye in the actual lake. I have caught 3 in all my life fishing this small resevoir. It still gets stockings, but not a regular effort. Basically, the DOW releases some small amounts of "left-over" fish from other stocking efforts, or so it was explained to my uncle and I a year or so ago. Delaware is a shallow muddy impoundment and thus not ideal for saugeye. Also, they prefer rocky or weedy cover and Delaware is nearly devoid of this type of stucture. The fish generally relate to the deeper low end of the resevoir and during heavy rains and high water disharge rates a large majority of the eyes wash below. This is by and large why the DOW stopped with the regular scheuduled stockings.

The stinker of it is that this produced one of the state's best tail-water fisheries and now, it is well not what it once was.

CG

1 - 11 of 11 Posts