Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the OGF web site, so, hello to you all. My question is what quallifies as a slab crappie? Is it a sliding scale? For example, if all you are catching is 6-8" crappie and then you catch a couple of 10 inchers are they considered slabs, or is the slab classification always the same for each individual fisherman? I have been crappie fishing for many years, caught my fair share of crappie, and am personally stuck with slab classification probably being around 11 or 12 inches. Although I have caught crappie up to 16 inches but those are few and far between, so if I am catching 11 to 12 inch crappie I am really happy. But what qualifies as slab crappie to others?

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Different area's and individuals see a "Slab" in different size ranges. I feel that over 12 inches constitutes a "Slab". The minimum size that I would recognize irrespective of lacation would be 10 inches.

·
Super Moderator
3,952 Posts
12-14" is a slab in my books.

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
personlly i consider a fish pushing 13 minimum slab size.10 inches is barely a keeper for me.i release anything smaller.
but what's in a word?;)
everyone has their own perception of what constitutes a keeper or slab,and if you are happy with it,that's all that matters:)

king,if i was in your family,you'd need lots of those slabs just to feed me:D ;)
i freeze 20 filets to a bag and the wife better be fast if she wants more than a couple when i fry them up:D

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Slab = Any crappie bigger than the one you just caught.
Slabbage = Plural of slab (coined by OGF's own Shakedown).

BTW, Ever notice how some of those slabs become dinks when it's time to clean them? Man what was I thinking when I kept that one :confused:

Seriously though, I agree with misfit. It has to be pushing 13" to qualify.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Ohio slab 11-12, Fish Ohio 13 and up.
Florida slab is 15 and up. So I guess it is determined by where your fishing.

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
id say around 11 inches for me. but it also depends if they are fat or not.

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
personlly i consider a fish pushing 13 minimum slab size.10 inches is barely a keeper for me.i release anything smaller.
but what's in a word?;)
everyone has their own perception of what constitutes a keeper or slab,and if you are happy with it,that's all that matters:)

king,if i was in your family,you'd need lots of those slabs just to feed me:D ;)
i freeze 20 filets to a bag and the wife better be fast if she wants more than a couple when i fry them up:D
misfit - That's about what it takes to feed the four of us, but then again my wife and I are usually not too hungry - carrying bellies full of beers by fry time is a pretty regular ritual at fish cleaning. If I made my slab limit any higher, I'd need to find a new home lake or I just wouldn't get to use the term often enough. :D

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
LOL kng.understood.i refuse to drink beer when it's time for a fish fry.it would greatly hinder my ability to cram all those crappies into my fat gut:D

·
Registered
508 Posts
For me a slab is 11"+ as I am new to crappie fishing. Been fishing all my life but never focused on Crappie until this year. Always fished for bass, walleye, pike, etc. Now I am hooked on it and I have caught about 3 11"+ and my biggest a 12-1/4" SLAB! It's a slab to me because they are the biggest I have been catching. I have caught about 80 crappies this year in 3 or 4 outings.....all were 7 to 9" except for a handfull above that, including my slabs listed above. I think as I get better at it and the size of the fish I am catching goes up as well as the numbers....then I will define a slab as a 12"+. I'll keep you all posted.

Sluggo

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies, sounds like as long as you are catching big crappie it doesn't matter what you call them every one is happy. Went to West Branch last night, crappie were bitting in the bays by rockspring road. Fish averaged about 9 to 10 inches, fished twister tails tipped with minnow. Action was pretty good, fished same spot as last week but the large size was not there as it was last week.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts